We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Tempe like? What do you think about UAT?

Seattle, Washington
13 posts
Save Topic
What is Tempe like? What do you think about UAT?

Hi all,

Well my question isn't exactly "trip" related, but hopefully some of you can help me out. I live in Europe and I am considering going to school in Tempe, at UAT. Other than "it is very sunny", I haven't heard very much about what it's like to live in Tempe. I did some college in Southern Indiana a while back, and as I'm sure anyone that has been there before can imagine - it really sucked. I don't want to set myself up for disappointment again this time round, so I'm trying to learn as much as I possibly can first...

Perhaps someone could tell me what it's like to live in Tempe from a "21-year-old"'s view... I like to party (doesn't everyone?) - what's the party scene like? What are the ladies like? Are people generally friendly? What is there to do in Tempe?? And if anyone here actually goes to UAT - what is it like?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Tempe
Tempe
Central Arizona, AZ
Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: What is Tempe like? What do you think about UAT?

I graduated ASU 5 years ago and lived the ASU lifestyle in Tempe - oh yes, there is a party scene, if that's what you're looking for. BUT, if that's not what you want, there are so many other things the area has to offer. I'm living in St. Louis right now and am heading back to Phx as fast as I possibly can now - it's a great place to live I think - and having now lived on the east coast, southwest, and mid-west, the mid-west (indiana and anything in its vicinity does in fact suck - well it's not terrible, but arizona is way way better for young folks). You've got ladies from all over the country, and everyone is friendly, is a major college town, the 20 somethings take over for most of the year. YOu can walk or bike just about anywhere down in the heart of Tempe. The local music scene is fantastic - i was and still am a major supporter of it, so I will be more than happy to promote a number of great bands (my friends of course) and places to see them (wink wink). There are fun fun bars around the campus, Mill Ave. etc. You will have absolutely NO problem making friends. You'll love it.

Mentioned in this post
Tempe
Tempe
Central Arizona, AZ
Flagstaff
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: What is Tempe like? What do you think about UAT?

Since no one has been able to tell you about UAT, I will try to fill you in a little. My boyfriend attends UAT and he ADORES it! He really loves his professors, who come from all over the world, and he is already involved in several clubs and groups that he is very interested in. It seems like he tells me every day of some new thing that UAT is doing for the students, like new animation studios and different conferences to attend. The school sounds like they just bend over backwards to allow the students to persue thier interests. He is pretty happy with his roommates and his apartment, although the roommates are messy. There is a very obvious lack of female presence at the school, and I think that UAT students tend to be less into the typical party scene than most typical college students. However, with ASU being so close, I'm sure it is really easy to find a great party. ASU has a very big party reputation, and thats where the ladies will be I assure you. Tempe seems to be a really nice place to live, if you can adjust to the heat. If you disliked the humidity of Indiana but liked the heat, you'll be just fine. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Tempe
Tempe
Central Arizona, AZ