We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurant in mill district

Which Tempe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
71 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
restaurant in mill district

Any recommendations for a good restaurant in the Mill District, healthy foods, tasty, nice atmosphere?

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurant in mill district

Our favorite is the historic Monti's Steakhouse

http://www.montis.com/

Good food, atmosphere, casual, good service, and you can go for a walk along the lake afterwards. The bread is even amazing and they'll give you the receipe :-)

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
71 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurant in mill district

thanks for your response; we'll check it out!

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,412 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurant in mill district

http://www.houseoftricks.com/site/

House of Tricks is another option...no, "tricks" is not about magic, Tricks is the last name of the owners. Really pretty setting and good food.

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,287 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurant in mill district

Tricks is overrated and not very good at all. To me, the food is about the same as Chili's or Applebees.

I recommend Caffe Boa on 4th and Mill. Local and fresh ingredients every day there, and a very cool atmosphere.

Great HH, and on Sundays pitchers of freshly made sangria are only $15.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurant in mill district

Monti's is good, and like AZFan we enjoy House of Tricks. Love their salads and sandwiches for lunch, they have some unique offerings.

Caffe Boa used to be ok, but their service has really gone downhill. Don't know if it's the owners' attitudes or what, but I don't recommend it anymore.

Edited: 5:27 pm, February 21, 2011
Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,287 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurant in mill district

I think the food at Boa is better than it ever has been since Peyton took the reigns.

I don't know about the service. I go a few times a week and sit at the bar, never had any service issues there.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: restaurant in mill district

There are lots of restaurant choices along Mill Avenue. Besides the suggestions already mentioned, I would also recommend La Bocca Urban Pizzeria & Wine Bar, Canteen, Z'Tejas, Gordon Biersch and Rula Bula.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
71 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: restaurant in mill district

thanks for all your feedback; we'll check out the recommended eateries.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: restaurant in mill district

short walk over to macayos on ash from mill

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,287 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: restaurant in mill district

Macayos is not considered to be good Mexican food by locals. I don't recommend it at all.

I also wouldn't recommend Bocca. The pizza is terrible.

Gordon Biersch is a chain, it's not really anything special either.

Z Tejas, another chain. It's Tex Mex, so if you like that go for it. I don't like the food, but happy hour can be good and the drinks are decent.

Canteen is a new tequila bar. It's had some issues since it's new, but I've heard they've ironed them out. I only went once and it wasn't a good experience.

Rula Bula is an Irish pub. If you want that, I'd go to Robbie Fox across the street instead; it's much better.

Oh, and Peyton recently left Boa. The menu has slightly changed, but it was still very good when I was there on Sunday.