We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone hiked this in February?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone hiked this in February?

My Friends and I are looking to hike Havasu Falls & Mooney Falls in early February 2013 and wondering what the trail conditions and weather would be like.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,607 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone hiked this in February?

It will be chilly to cold in the daytime with rain and snow possible, freezing overnight. Check weather close to the time. This is a remote area with no services.

Use Grand Canyon NP weather as a guide as there is no reporting station in Supai. If you enter Supai in online weather, it defaults to Kingman which has very different weather. Supai will be slightly warmer than GCNP but share the same precipitation forecast.

Be sure of the weather before you set out on this venture.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone hiked this in February?

Thanks so much for this Bob. We ended up postponing the trip, but this is very helpful.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
517 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone hiked this in February?

I noticed there is a weather forecast for Supai, AZ on http://www.wunderground.com/ , not sure if that really shows weather for Supai village or something else though.

Will be there in a week, will check how accurate that weather forecast is :)

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,823 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone hiked this in February?

The Supai weather forecast is taken from the GCNP at the south rim. Since there's an elevation difference of 3-4000 feet, you should expect conditions at Havasu to be somewhat warmer and milder than what is reported. There are no weather monitoring devices at Havasu.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
517 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone hiked this in February?

You're right!

I just noticed it says:

Weather Station Grand Canyon (KGCN), Elevation 6608 ft

for Supai, AZ

I guess it will be warmer then, which I'd consider as a good thing for April :)

Lake View, AL
Level Contributor
7 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone hiked this in February?

Did you visit Supai?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
517 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone hiked this in February?

Yep, and it was wonderful! I left my review here: tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS and there is one more on Mooney Falls.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

8. Re: Has anyone hiked this in February?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 27, 2014