We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

With only one overnight stay, should we hike to Beaver Fall

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
With only one overnight stay, should we hike to Beaver Fall

We were only able to get a one night stay at the lodge in October. We plan to stay in Peach Springs before our hike in. If we start our hike at 5:30am we should make it down to the camp by 10am. Is that a reasonable estimate for average hikers? Is it too ambitious to try to hike all the way to Beaver Fall the same day? We plan to hike out the next day around 5am to avoid the heat.

Thank you,

Sandy

7 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,368 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: With only one overnight stay, should we hike to Beaver Fall

See how you feel after settling in at the Lodge Having a light meal & getting hydrated ... Happy trails ... carracar

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
7,060 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: With only one overnight stay, should we hike to Beaver Fall

Personally, I wouldn't. You only have the one day, so just enjoy Havasu Falls. That's what you're there to see, after all! :) You could go to Mooney Falls, though, which isn't far from the campground.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,644 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: With only one overnight stay, should we hike to Beaver Fall

The hike to Beaver Falls appears to take all day. You simply don't have time, and it's also said to be a rough hike. Look for other posts here.

If you have a room in the lodge, you're not camping.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,263 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: With only one overnight stay, should we hike to Beaver Fall

It's impossible to guess what you might mean by "average" hikers. Do you mean fitness level? Are you confident about route-finding in the Canyons? From Supai to Beaver Falls isn't a trail hike. No signs, probably questionable cairns. Canyons prone to flash floods tend to change from year to year, so published beta may or may not be valid. You can't look at it as a "miles-per-hour" kind of hike.

I consider myself an "average hiker" in terms of fitness. I have experience hiking in the GC. I would never plan to hike to Beaver on the day I hike into Supai unless maybe if I were hiking with a strong partner familiar with the route. One night at Supai already means that you'll have very little time at the Falls. Beaver Falls wouldn't be a priority over Havasu and Mooney.

Also, the average *high* temp at Supai in October is 78 degF. Temps go down as you ascend, about 5 degrees per 1,000 feet. Unless you're there during a heatwave or are particularly sensitive to heat, I doubt that you'd have to leave at 5am for heat reasons. It's probably going to be in the mid to upper-40's at night, maybe in the 50's if you're going at the beginning of the month.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: With only one overnight stay, should we hike to Beaver Fall

Short answer: No.

We didn't even attempt it on our trip where we had two nights in the canyon. The second time around, when we stayed three nights at the bottom we did it. It is an incredible hike. If you enjoy yourself and go back and are able to stay longer, definitely try to do it.

There's more than enough to entertain you without going to Beaver.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: With only one overnight stay, should we hike to Beaver Fall

Thank you everyone for your insight. I think we will have to skip Beaver Fall this time. I wonder if we can even make it to Mooney Fall with our allotted time?

Thank you,

Sandy

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
7,060 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: With only one overnight stay, should we hike to Beaver Fall

Quote: "I wonder if we can even make it to Mooney Fall with our allotted time?"

Yes. See Post #2.