We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Rim to Havasupai

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
South Rim to Havasupai

My wife and I have two nights already booked later this year at the Havasu Lodge. I was wondering if there were any back routes to drive from the Grand Canyon South Rim area to Havasu? Everything I have seen is that it is about a 4 hour drive because you have to go very far out of the way to get on 1 road from Peach Springs to Havasu. When I look at it on a map, it seems like there has to be a shorter route than this. Any comments or recommendations would be helpful.

18 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,371 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Rim to Havasupai

Wishing, does not make it so... Short of a 4WD & a "genetic imprint" as to what primitive reservation road ... does not, lead only to a stock tank... You Will, be driving the 64 South, to the I-40 West to Seligman .. From there, the "Old 66" to the (tribal) 18. Will get one to trail head parking ... Do not, attempt this drive in darkness ! Happy trails ... carracar

Edited: 11:26 pm, May 19, 2017
So Cal
Level Contributor
11,646 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Rim to Havasupai

Welcome to the forums, greg. I don't know where you're from, but out where you're going there's a lot of open country and very few roads crossing it.

Yes, you might see faint lines on a map that look like roads, and your GPS might tell you to drive on some dirt - don't do it. There's a long list of people who've been stranded for days out in the middle of nowhere, sometimes fatally.

Just fire up the tunes and enjoy the scenery.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,164 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Rim to Havasupai

Check recent news coverage about the woman who thought she could take a shortcut and nearly lost her life when she became lost and stranded for several days.

No. There's no back route or shortcut.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Supai
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Rim to Havasupai

Supai residents have left warning comments on Faceback about these unpaved paths, such as: “Very rugged terrain that could be washed out in some areas. Even the locals won't risk it.”

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Rim to Havasupai

There ARE back routes - I have been on most. But you had best have high clearance 4WD, and if you get a thunderstorm be prepared to seek higher ground and possibly be stuck there until the water in "dry" washes goes down. And even in good weather you would not save any time, just distance.

Edited: 2:19 pm, May 20, 2017
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,651 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Rim to Havasupai

The best answer is use the highways. If you check the alternate routes, even Google shows the same amount of time. If you did go on one of the dirt roads trying to cut across to the road to Hualapai Hilltop, there will be little traffic, no help, and no cell signal. Dumb idea IMO.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,224 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South Rim to Havasupai

myfox8.com/2017/…

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,164 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South Rim to Havasupai

She did NOT do everything right.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: South Rim to Havasupai

I want to thank all of you for your input. We are for sure taking the route that stays on highways. We will just stay at a hotel in Peach Springs the night before to have a shorter drive the morning of, to Havasupai.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,371 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: South Rim to Havasupai

Should you not mind dated & "rustic" Grand Canyon Caverns, accommodation, Will be quieter & a bit closer to the turn off ... Happy trails ... carracar

Reply to: South Rim to Havasupai
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted