We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Sedona
Search

Alternative to Sedona for accommodation.

Ireland
Level Contributor
39 posts
Alternative to Sedona for accommodation.

I am planning on visiting Sedona for 2 nights around 21st December. Accommodation seems very expensive at that time. 3 to 4 star standard. Can anyone offer suggestions for town near Sedona that I could stay in. Within 1 hour drive? Scenic, some nice restaurants and bars?

Best value hotels in Sedona
The Inn Above Oak Creek
The Inn Above Oak Creek
#1 of 49 hotels in Sedona
Casa Sedona Inn
Casa Sedona Inn
#2 of 49 hotels in Sedona
Junipine Resort
Junipine Resort
#5 of 49 hotels in Sedona
Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
72,084 posts
250 reviews
250 helpful votes
1. Re: Alternative to Sedona for accommodation.

Nothing is as scenic as Sedona. Camp Verde and Cottonwood are 30-45 minutes away, but hardly worth the savings IMO.

What can you budget per night?

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,205 posts
104 reviews
95 helpful votes
2. Re: Alternative to Sedona for accommodation.

You might consider Flagstaff. It's a little further but it definitely has nice restaurants and bars as well as hiking and other things to do.

Sedona, AZ
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
41 reviews
32 helpful votes
3. Re: Alternative to Sedona for accommodation.

Have you looked at Village of Oak Creek or are you grouping this area in with Sedona proper? VOC is 7 miles south of the center of Sedona. VOC is close to many major trail heads, some within walking distance.

Flagstaff is cold in December and although it is with in an hour away, weather conditions can make it difficult to get to Sedona. if you choose to stay outside Sedona to visit Sedona go south to Cottonwood or Camp Verde.

Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Santa Fe, Sedona
Level Contributor
12,513 posts
886 reviews
1,563 helpful votes
4. Re: Alternative to Sedona for accommodation.

I just checked rates at the Hampton Inn West Sedona for your dates...$143 to $159. The Prescott Valley Hampton Inn & Suites...$89. If you don't mind a scenic drive of a little over an hour each way, its a very nice new place to stay. It is our go-to for budget crunches because we would rather save on a hotel at times and spend $ on fuel driving through beautiful country. Both Prescott Valley and Prescott are wonderful full service towns and a place where many people end up retiring.

If you choose PV, you will have a 57 mile drive using the 69/169 cut over to the I-17 freeway at Camp Verde, then enter Sedona on the Red Rock Scenic Byway, the #179. One time when you make the drive, you might want to use the 89A and drive via Jerome.

In our experience, Flagstaff can be nearly as expensive as Sedona for nice hotels. The 30 mile drive to Sedona on the 89A, the Oak Creek Canyon drive, is not a drive we would like to make twice a day, each day. It takes an hour each way anyway even though its closer by mileage.

This may not appeal to you but it does work very well for us at times. We have more varied tastes, including photography and do not spend a lot of time mostly hiking when we spend time in Sedona.

Have you checked the TA listings for Sedona & Oak Creek Village and then filtered for budget?

Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
72,084 posts
250 reviews
250 helpful votes
5. Re: Alternative to Sedona for accommodation.

Look at Sugarloaf Lodge and the Village Motel. Both well under $100

Evansville
Level Contributor
7 posts
142 reviews
33 helpful votes
6. Re: Alternative to Sedona for accommodation.

You might try Homeaway or VRBO for a condo at Canyon Mesa Country Club in the Village of Oak Creek just outside of Sedona on Rt # 179. Some limit the stay to 7 nights, but others do not. They have anything from 1 to 3 bedrooms.

Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
67 reviews
33 helpful votes
7. Re: Alternative to Sedona for accommodation.

Welcome to TripAdvisor. I would stay in Sedona to avoid wasting valuable time on driving (and the cost of gas.) In the US a 2 1/2 or 3 * hotel may be fine.

Everything around is scenic, and there are many restaurants in the area. If you give us an idea of your budget, we can make some suggestions.

Ireland
Level Contributor
39 posts
8. Re: Alternative to Sedona for accommodation.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions which I will check out. Still in planning stages of a longer trip so trying to budget. My budget would be $120 a night.

Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
72,084 posts
250 reviews
250 helpful votes
9. Re: Alternative to Sedona for accommodation.

There should be plenty of places to stay at Sedona within your budget range.

Look at Wildflower, Desert Quail. Holiday Inn, Days Inns and more. Use the hotel links and filter by rates.

Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Santa Fe, Sedona
Level Contributor
12,513 posts
886 reviews
1,563 helpful votes
10. Re: Alternative to Sedona for accommodation.

I'm pretty sure you will find something within the budget, especially if you book one of the chains early and lock in a rate. In any case choose something soon because the week before Christmas in Sedona will be busy.

Sedona is wonderful for dining, drinks and views. What kind of cuisine do you prefer?