We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Desert and Forest

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Desert and Forest

According to Yahoo maps, the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest are about 2 hours from Sedona. Is that a doable day trip?

Am I correct in reading that there is a painted desert near/around the Grand Canyon? If so, is a trip to THE Painted Desert redundant?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,556 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Desert and Forest

Hi there, it's me again.

Yes there is a painted desert at the east end of the GCNP. It reinforces my suggestion that you do the Grand Canyon trip on your own instead of a tour.

You can leave Sedona and drive to the GCNP via Williams and spend the day at the South Rim, touring the west rim area from there. Ideally you would then spend the night in one of the lodges at the rim (or just outside the park in Tusayan) and then after enjoying sunrise and breakfast you get back in your car for a leisurely drive along the east rim and out of the park through the painted desert and then back down through Flagstaff and home to Sedona. You might also want to make a stop a t Meteor Crater just north and east of Flagstaff.

We did that exact trip on our first visit to Sedona. We had a condo for the week and we just left it for the one night while we stayed at the El Tovar. It was fantastic and only made us want to come back and do it again.

Mentioned in this post
Tusayan
Tusayan
Arizona
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Desert and Forest

From Sedona it's a good 2 hours to Holbrook one way. You can visit Walnut Canyon NM, Meteor Crater, Painted Desert and Petrified Forest on you roundtrip.

Estimated times for visits are:

Walnut Canyon: 1.5 -2 hours.

Meteor Crater: 2 hours, a guided tour included

Painted Desert: Viewing point

Petrified Forest: 2 hours. This is not a forest but petrified logs lying on the soil.

Can take longer or shorter times of course.

Tet

Mentioned in this post
Holbrook
Holbrook
Arizona
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Desert and Forest

I agree with the other posters.

I would do 1-2 days for the Grand Canyon loop as RedRox suggests. Enter from the south, exit to the east. Then after you turn south again on Hwy 89 towards Flagstaff, stop at Wupatki Indian Ruins/Sunset Crater Loop. (Not Meteor Crater at that point.)

Then on a different day, drive east on Interstate 40 out of Flagstaff and hit all the places Tet14 mentioned.

Be sure to drive through beautiful Oak Creek Canyon (Hwy 89A) as you go between Sedona and Flagstaff.

I believe the painted desert that you will see along the east side of Hwy 89 after you leave the Grand Canyon is actually the west edge of the great expanse of land known as the Painted Desert. The main entrance to it, though, is way east out near the Petrified Forest. I hope that makes sense :-)

Mentioned in this post
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Oak Creek Canyon
Oak Creek Canyon
2,906 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Sedona, AZ
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Desert and Forest

The Painted 'Desert and Petrified Forest (Meteor Crator and La Posada in Winslow) are in the same area. You do one, you do the other. The Grand Canyon is West of Holbrook/Winslow by at least 2 hours so they can't really be done in the same day.

Actually I'm not sure quite what you're asking?

Mentioned in this post
Holbrook
Holbrook
Arizona
Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
293 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Desert and Forest

On an October trip we toured Canyon De Chelly in the morning, Hubbell Trading Post and then Petrified forest/Painted Desert in the afternoon. After a great dinner in Holbrook we drove back to Sedona in the dark (about 2 hours drive). I should mention that we started out in Chinle that day but a day trip to the Petrified Forest can easily be done from Sedona. You could throw in Meteor Crater to make a good day of it.

Cheers.

Mentioned in this post
Holbrook
Holbrook
Arizona
Chinle
Chinle
Arizona
Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Desert and Forest

Thanks all!

SedonaMTB, I wasn't looking to do GCNP and PD/PF on the same day - just wondering whether PD/PF was a doable day trip on another day. However, Janss cleared it all up for me by pointing out that the Painted Desert outside the GCNP is the westernmost part of the PD/PF. [Insert image of me slamming my palm on my forehead in one of those "I coulda had a V8" moments] I had thought maybe there were several painted deserts just like there are several canyons. But enough of my ignorance on geography ... we're going to have a great trip.

7. Re: Desert and Forest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 26, 2009