We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel/Motel with best access to mountain bike trails?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
270 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel/Motel with best access to mountain bike trails?

We will be in Sedona 10/26-10/29/2006. Can anyone suggest where to stay for easy access to mountain bike trails? Currently, based on reviews, availability and rates, we are looking at Sky Ranch, Comfort Inn and King's Ransom. The whole family likes to mountain bike but my husband is hard-core and may want to take off early in the a.m. or late in the afternoons for rides on his own. We will be bringing our bikes with us.

Sedona, AZ
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel/Motel with best access to mountain bike trails?

I would suggest a hotel in the Village of Oak Creek as the main trailhead (Bell Rock Vista) and access to the trail system is best from there. Kings Ransom also has good access to the Schnebley Trails and Broken Arrow but these are more advanced trails. They have a mtb tour package which gets a deep discount on the room.

In VOC I would suggest:

>Best Bargain in Sedona Village Lodge under $100 per night and a quarter mile from the trailhead.

>Quail Ridge Resort - same as above but not the price.

>The Views perhaps a half mile from trailhead

>Sedona Hilton Resort.

You will find these hotels at

www.visitsedona.com

Sky Ranch is not a good option for biking. Comfort Inn is a little better as you aren't on top of a mesa. In general, West Sedona and Uptown locations require riding on very, very busy roads which can be dangerous. I know of quite a few accidents with bicyclists in West Sedona and Uptown but none in the Village of Oak Creek.

By the way, this really is the best time of year to ride here! The trails aren't as dusty as we get occasional rains but the trails still dry out quickly so they're not muddy.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona Village Lodge
Sedona Village Lodge
210 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
270 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel/Motel with best access to mountain bike trails?

SedonaMTB,

Thanks for the good information - and for bringing to light the other lodging options. We're leaning towards Quail Ridge after reading the reviews on TA. Sounds like our kind of place. I prefer Oak Creek, anyway, so I appreciate an additional vote for the location!

Hawaii
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel/Motel with best access to mountain bike trails?

Hey Sedona MTB and Hapahoalegirl (I was born and raised inHawaii, so I get it). Thanks for your posts! My husband and I will be in Sedona April 22 - 25th and want to do some mountain biking. We biked near Zion last year (I stayed at the Red Mountain Spa) and had a blast. We fly into Vegas from Hawaii, drive to Lake Havasu (family obligation) and will fly out of Phoenix.

Can you suggest places to stay, good trails, any info that you would share would be greatly appreciated. My husband is an advanced rider and I can handle most advanced technical and downhill riding (like Mammoth Mtn), but I am not a hard-core cardio/uphiller. I want gravity to work FOR me, not against!

Since we have 4 nights in Sedona (or anywhere between Havasu and Phoenix for that matter), I was thinking 2 nights near trail heads, and 2 nights in something a little fancy schmancy. Food is very important, so both places should have access to great eats.

Mahalo!

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
270 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel/Motel with best access to mountain bike trails?

Peabody,

I definitely stick to the downhill trails myself! I will leave trail recommendations in/near or on the way to Sedona for SedonaMTB's response, for now. If I have any worthwhile information when we get back, I'll be sure to come back to this post.

My hubby and son have driven to Gooseberry Mesa near Zion and enjoyed that, but we usually stay pretty close to home on the trails except for tfrequent travel to Brian Head, UT. Maybe check out Boulder City if you have time while in Nevada, I've never gone out on any trails there, but according to hubby and his friends there are many fun and challenging rides there.

Mentioned in this post
Nevada
Nevada
United States
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
270 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel/Motel with best access to mountain bike trails?

Peabody,

Wanted to report that hubby had a great time on the trails.

We bought a "local's fat tire guidebook" at a bike shop in the Village of Oak Creek and when he wasn't out there on the trails, he was reading and salivating at everything in the book.

I, unfortunately, ended up with a bad cold and stayed off the bike. I did, however, enjoy a foray to Jerome and definitely plan on going back there.

Hubby and son went off exploring and started out on the Huckaby trail but ended up calling me for a pick-up after almost getting lost and somehow crisscrossing the creek four times with gps and cell phones and mp3s somehow miraculously staying intact.

I thought they made a case for going on a guided tour. I think this is what we may do the next time we head to Sedona, book or no book.

Mentioned in this post
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
Sedona, AZ
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel/Motel with best access to mountain bike trails?

The local Fat Tire Book is Cosmic Rays Guide. Well worth it. He just came out with a new pocket guide for $5 that covers hiking and biking trails. There is actually a picture of me going off a ledge in his book, I think on the Airport Mesa page.

I just have to say, what in the world possesed your husband to take Huckaby Trail? If was looking for the most technical gonozo trail there are other more technical trails that are a lot more fun and easier to follow. I can tell you exactly where your husband got lost though, he missed the right hand turn just before he got to the water. He probably never saw the sign.

Yes, it's easy to get lost on the Sedona trail system this is why people hire guides. If you decide to hire a guide make sure they have a permit to do tours from the Red Rock Ranger District. The only companies permitted by them is Sedona MTB Adventures that works with Absolute Bikes (by far the most active outfitter guide), A Day in the West (in name only, they've never conducted a mtb tour to my knowledge) Enchantment Resort has an operator but they are "spa" rides from what I hear, and 360 Adventures based in Phoenix. If anyone says they do tours but is not displaying the "Permitted by the Coconino Naitional Forest" on their literature they are not permitted. If in doubt, call the Red Rock Ranger District as 928-282-4119

Why is this important (applies to hiking, Jeep, balloon and every other kind of tour on the forest? The companies have insurance, they have qualified guides who know the area, they pay a portion of their gross revenue to the FS for maintenance of the trails and road that they use. Thank for reading this far!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Airport Mesa
Airport Mesa
2,334 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Huckaby Trail
Huckaby Trail
100 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Enchantment Resort
Enchantment Resort
2,835 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
7. Re: Hotel/Motel with best access to mountain bike trails?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, August 22, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sedona