We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice about driving in sedona

Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice about driving in sedona

My wife wants to do the Pink Jeep tour, I however am not a fan of guided tours. I like to explore by myself.

My off-road experience is minimal at best (south portion of road to hana is about it, which I thought was very easy). My idea was to rent a Land Rover LR3 in phoenix and take it off-road in Sedona when we visit (a 37.2-degree approach, 29.6-degree departure and 27.9-degree break over angle with a 9.5 inches clearance). This is not quite as good as the Wrangler Rubicon which I belive is used for the self-rentals, but very close.

Any advice on trails from people that have off-road experience or am I just plain nuts (as my wife seems to think).

Any comments are welcome. Thanks!

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice about driving in sedona

we prefer

www.redrockjeep.com for jeep tours.

there are some like the broken arrow trail that you will most likely prefer not to do on your own (or with a rental). however, there are many roads that you could do on your own.

and, heck, it is a rental, right!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice about driving in sedona

First off if its a rental read the agreements most warranties/insurance are void if you break down on any type of off road or damage due to off roading. And most off all don't break down on a dirt road in a rental. I haven't been on any of the roads this year since the rains so I can't personally recommend the conditions. Also things to remember that you will need are extra supplies (just in case) local emergency numbers that's if you have a cell phone that works in those areas.

A great resource I use is www.trails.com they have a 14 day free trial and you get topo access to trails in all 50 states and they are printable. It also has where you can look for trails for off road, scenic ect.....

www.visitsedona.com

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice about driving in sedona

Listen to Drangonflylady. Broken Arrow is not like anything you've seen before unless you've driven in Moab. Although it sounds like you're doing good research on vehicles and skills required to drive such trails.

I would suggest taking the Pink Jeep tour then renting your own Jeep and driving it yourself if you wish. It's hairy! But some people, perhaps you, are talented drivers.

The other locations in Sedona suggested are nothing like Broken Arrow. They try to tell you that but it's not true. After overhearing all the different Jeep tour companies when I'm on the trails doing tours Pink Jeeps still does the best job. If you want to hear about the vortexes and other local mythology take the other tours.

Just to let you know Pink Jeeps doesn't give me anything not even a referral. They just do a good job and have the most qualified drivers.

Yes there are other great roads to take a rental Jeep as well. Farbees can give you some good ideas of other places to go.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice about driving in sedona

Listen to Drangonflylady. Broken Arrow is not like anything you've seen before unless you've driven in Moab. Although it sounds like you're doing good research on vehicles and skills required to drive such trails.

I would suggest taking the Pink Jeep tour then renting your own Jeep and driving it yourself if you wish. It's hairy! But some people, perhaps you, are talented drivers.

The other locations in Sedona suggested are nothing like Broken Arrow. They try to tell you that but it's not true. After overhearing all the different Jeep tour companies when I'm on the trails doing tours Pink Jeeps still does the best job. If you want to hear about the vortexes and other local mythology take the other tours.

Just to let you know Pink Jeeps doesn't give me anything not even a referral. They just do a good job and have the most qualified drivers.

Yes there are other great roads to take a rental Jeep as well. Farbees can give you some good ideas of other places to go.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice about driving in sedona

Schnebly Hill Road is a must. It's a rough and fun drive with places to stop and enjoy the spectacular views. You'll see all the pink jeeps turn around and head back at the top. Keep going and you'll come to a gorgeous little lake set among the pines. The people at the Visitor Center can tell you how to get to it on the south side of town.

6. Re: Need advice about driving in sedona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, August 18, 2009