We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

89A closure in June

Iva
Montreal
Level Contributor
142 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
89A closure in June

Which part of 89A will be closed? Am I going to be able to drive to Oak Creek Canyon from Sedona?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,594 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 89A closure in June

The switchbacks will be closed. You can access all of Oak Creek Canyon from Sedona. The only thing you can't do is climb the headwall and continue all the way to Flagstaff or beyond.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,223 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 89A closure in June

Just learning of this news. Pleased to be now rather than in a few week's time!

We're planning on visiting Slide Rock State Park. With the road open we would ensure driving the whole length of Oak Creek Canyon. Now we would consider just doing the section up to Slide Rock. Will we be seeing enough of the Canyon this way to get a pleasant overview?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,129 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 89A closure in June

You will be able to see a lot of Oak Creek Canyon. Most of it, in fact.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,223 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 89A closure in June

Thank you, Mike.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,594 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 89A closure in June

Oak Creek Canyon has been closed due to the Slide Fire. Expect no access until the fire is fully contained. It would appear that this could also impact the time table for the 89A switchbacks construction project.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,129 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 89A closure in June

I was thinking that they might reconsider a complete closure. If a fire were to break out during the closure, it could seriously impact the ability of firefighters to reach the fire scene.

Sedona, Arizona
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 89A closure in June

Slide rock is on fire, and the road through oak creek canyon is TOTALLY blocked off. On the news said the fire is directly headed to Flagstaff. Foolish to plan Sedona now. Be safe.

Sedona, Arizona
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 89A closure in June

We're in a mess right now. I am leaving town on my own because of breathing smoke in Sedona where I live.

Sedona, Arizona
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 89A closure in June

I know you were planning for June, which is almost here... keep in touch with the news of Arizona...

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,223 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 89A closure in June

This sounds terrible and I hate thinking selfishly but can anyone give me an indication of whether to expect this, or the knock-on, to still be causing problems in mid-June. Just an educated best guess.

Cheers.