We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March or June?

Iowa
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
March or June?

We were planning a trip to Arizona in March. After checking weather temps in Sedona, Grand Canyon looks like average temps mid 30s. We also want to go to Phoenix Zoo etc. We would be leaving Iowa winter was hoping for warmer weather. So maybe early/mid June would be better?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,319 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March or June?

If you will be spending a lot of time in Phoenix, go in March. In June the daytine temps will be well over 100 every day, and only down into the 80's at night.

In Sedona, it should be in the 50's during the day, maybe a bit warmer.

Iowa
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: March or June?

thanks! When you say 50s in Sedona I assume you mean in March? Hate to be stupid, but I really thought all of Arizona was warm all the time!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,319 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: March or June?

No, all of Arizona isn't warm all the time. There are a lot of mountains and high country that gets very cold. there can also be quite a bit of snow at times. In fact, the north rim of the Grand canyon is closed from late October to mid-May because of the likelihood of road closures due to snow (and the cold).

check out this web site for the grand canyon.

http://www.nps.gov/grca/pphtml/weather.html

Click on "more" at the bottom of the narrative and you will be able to get a weather predicter for the days you plan to visit. You will need to click on "weather averages", then a new window will open and you enter where you will be going, when and for how many days. I used March 15-17, and it said the "normals are lows of around 24 and highs around 51. Here is the link.

http://www.climatrac.com/CoolBlue.asp

Arizona
Level Contributor
284 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: March or June?

I agree it depends on how much time you'll be spending in each place. If you are going to spend a big chunk of your trip in Phoenix, definintely don't go in June. If only a bit of it is in Phoenix and most of your trip is up north, June would be ok. You'll just have to spend a lot of time in the pool or indoors.

Iowa
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: March or June?

thanks everyone! Decisions, decisions!!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: March or June?

Hi 4Penquins

Many NP's are even more beautiful with snow than without. GC is one of them. Those clear, cold, blue skies (I hope) and the overlooks are magnificent. And Phx is also good to visit that time of year so I would vote for (end of) march too.

Have fun

Tet{:o)-

Phoenix,AZ
Level Contributor
284 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: March or June?

I would go in March! Phoenix has great weather during this time. And Sedona is nice as well, just a tad bit chilly.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
55 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: March or June?

One consideration for you: because March in Phoenix is generally pretty much perfect weather, you will find high season prices for most (particularly nicer) hotels. The hot weather in June brings summer specials at a number of area resorts (sub $200 instead of $400+).

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
293 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: March or June?

You are all forgetting a very important factor when trip planning. Precipitation. I know that is the desert (High and Low) but you should consider that according to the Monthly tables on Weather.com, March is the wettest month for both Phoenix and Sedona and June is the driest.

That said, I made the trip once in March and never saw any rain. Grand Canyon was windy and in the 40's.

Sedona, AZ
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: March or June?

I say March because the mean temp and percipitation are fine. Actually, in Sedona you may run into snow which is magnificent!!!!

Phoenix area is wonderful at this time and Sedona can be because of the snow. (We get a lot of snow in March and April.)

By the way, we have an Out of Africa Park in Cottonwood/Camp Verde which is great at that time of year. Big cats and lots of other exotic animals in a wildlife refuge. A great adventure!!!

As a mountain bike tour operator who is on the trails nearly every day I can tell you June tests my limits of dry heat. We close up by the end of June as it can be very dangerous to be outside.

My two cents!