We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Car hire

Hi there. We are traveling to the US in early January from New Zealand. We are picking up a Hertz rental car from Phoenix. Traveling to Sedona, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Page, Bryce, Zion and Las Vegas. My question is.. What sort of vehicle should we hire. Would a Toyota Corolla be ok or should we rent an SUV at that time of year. Thanks Tania

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,204 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire

Thanks for posting in the forum.

There are no places on your itinerary that can't be reached in a little Toyota Corolla, as long as weather cooperates. That said, my preference and recommendation would be for a larger SUV type vehicle for more luggage capacity, higher clearance on the roads and better visibility.

Winter weather can be an issue in January, so a bigger vehicle can help. But understand that winter storms can often cause all traffic to come to a halt for a day or so, regardless of vehicle type. Don't worry about it though. You'll deal with storms if you have to.

I'd choose the SUV

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire

Thank you for the advice.

Our itinerary is as follows:

We have an extra day to use up somewhere… Where should we use the extra day.

Day 1-Phoenix to Sedona

Day 2-Sedona

Day 3-Sedona to Grand Canyon

Day 4 Grand Canyon

Day 5 Grand Canyon to Monument Valley

Day 6 Monument Valley

Day 7 Monument Valley to Page

Day 8Page

Day 9 Page to Bryce

Day 10 Bryce

Day 11 Bryce to Zion

Day 12 Zion

Day 13 Zion to Las Vegas

Day 14Mystery day to put back into itinerary ???

Day 15/18 Las Vegas

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire

There are 2 of us traveling, my husband and I, both in our 50's, fit and active.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,204 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire

Replied in your other thread

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,298 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire

Rent the car you'll be most comfortable driving. I've been just as happy driving a small car as a larger one. Just keep in mind the size of your concealed storage areas as you may find yourself parked with your luggage in the car while hiking, etc.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire

I'd rent a midsize awd SUV that time of year.

You can do with one day in Monument Valley imo. For an extra trip take www.scenicbyway12.com to Torrey from Bryce and head to Zion after that. Or do Page first, to Monument Valley after that, drive from MV via Moki Dugway 261 and ut95 (Bicentennial hw) to Torrey and from there via ut12 to Bryce and Zion.

Tet

7. Re: Car hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 26, 2015