We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning February Trip, Help Please

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
4 posts
Save Topic
Planning February Trip, Help Please

After reading many posts from the forum, we've attempted an itinerary for our first trip to Sedona. We are an active couple traveling with two active boys.

Day 1- arrive in Phoenix mid morning- should we head straight to sedona to check out town, Chapel of Holy Cross, sunset at Mesa or make stops to see some of the sights listed on day 4 like well/castle/Jerome

Day 2- 3 hr. Pink Jeep broken arrow/scenic rim 10am and possibly Devil's Bridge Hike afterward)

Day 3- grand canyon

Day 4- montezuma's well, castle, Jerome? Or Bell Rock, Cathedral Rock, Red Rock Crossing??

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning February Trip, Help Please

I would see Montezuma's Well and/or Castle and/or Circle V-Bar-V (check for days and hours) on the way up. If you'd like lunch, stop at Vintages Grille in Montezuma.

Jerome would be out of the way if you are doing this stop.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning February Trip, Help Please

I'm thinking the boys will be better suited to some additional hiking/outdoor time rather than a drive and visit to Jerome.

Keep your schedule flexible and enjoy your time around Sedona. You won't have time to see everything but you have a great plan to see many of the highlights.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning February Trip, Help Please

Thanks! I didn't know about v-bar-v. Looks like a cool stop for the boys. They aren't open on our drive in so we would have to do it towards the end of our trip. We could still see Montezuma's Castle and Well then stop at Bell Rock on our way into Sedona. That frees up some time for Day 4. Any other thoughts on time in Jerome?

Phoenix, Arizona
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning February Trip, Help Please

You mentioned the Grand Canyon. It is well worth visiting, especially if you haven't before. But it is pretty far north, about 4 hours from Phoenix. If you want to do that, I suggest you go there first. You can stop at Montezuma on the way north on 17. Then back down to Flag and take 89A to Sedona. We are biased to Sedona, having gotten married there. It sounds like you really want to visit Jerome, so from Sedona you can go to Jerome then on to Prescott (another favorite of ours) then back to Phoenix from there. If you have an extra afternoon, the Verde Canyon Railroad is pretty phenomenal. It is in Clarkdale between Sedona and Jerome. Hope this helos and have fun!

Atlanta, Georgia
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning February Trip, Help Please

We are flying into Phoenix and fortunately lodging in Sedona for 4 nights.

Phoenix, Arizona
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning February Trip, Help Please

You could make a day trip to the Canyon from Sedona, but maybe not much else that day. I do recommend going, though. I think its a couple hour drive. Montezuma might be squeezed in that day, or visit there on your drive up from Phoenix before going on to Sedona on your first day.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,396 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning February Trip, Help Please

There are scores of posts and trip reports in these forums about day trips to the Grand Canyon National Park from Sedona. Leave early in the morning and enter the park via the east gate at Desert View. A breakfast stop at Cameron Trading Post is ideal. Exit the park at the main gate at Tusayan, well before sunset, so you can be back in a Sedona before dark.

Your overall plan looks good. Stay flexible.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning February Trip, Help Please

Thanks for your reply. Your posts have been very helpful. I just printed your detailed GCNP trip from '07 when you stopped at Mather Point first.....exited the east gate. Would this work too? Also, someone posted that Devil's Bridge trail can be impassable in winter. Is this the case for next week?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,396 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning February Trip, Help Please

Yes, you can do the GC loop in reverse, but I find that east to west makes a better day.

Check with the Red Rock ranger station for up to date conditions on Devils Bridge. I expect it's fine right now.

10. Re: Planning February Trip, Help Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 17, 2015