We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona - GC itinerary

Aurora, Illinois
Level Contributor
282 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Sedona - GC itinerary

Just wanted to get some advice from the wonderful experts on this forum. We are headed to Sedona next July with our 2 kids (age 13 and 17). DH and I have been here before but it has been 15 years and kids have never been. We plan to fly into PHX, head to Sedona, Grand Canyon and then on to Anaheim, CA. My current itinerary looks like this;

Day One

- Arrive in PHX late morning and head to Sedona

- Check in at Best Western Plus Inn for 2 nights

- Chapel of Holy Cross - can we fit this in on day one?

Day Two

- early am Broken Arrow PJ tour

- Slide Rock Park - is this place doable arriving mid-day in the summer? This is a must do for our kids.

Day Three

- Devil's Bridge - we won't have 4x4 - will kids make the long hike from parking lot? I would really like do this hike but maybe we should do another one?

- Planning to head to GCNP late afternoon - BA Cabins - 2 nights

Day Four

- Explore GCNP

Day Five

- Long drive to Anaheim

Anything else we can/should fit in to the Sedona trip?

Should we stay 3 nights in Sedona and only one night in GCNP? This would mean a 2 hour morning drive on Day 4 followed by a long day touring GCNP. But, we could finish up GC in the morning of Day 5 before heading to Anaheim. We can't stay another day in the area.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions. I have been reading through the forum and you guys are so helpful!

M Diamond Ranch
Sightseeing Tours
Sedona Sacred Earth
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Great West Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,439 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona - GC itinerary

Your plan looks good.

Slide Rock may be difficult on a weekend. You might also look at West Fork as well.

Boynton or Fay Canyon affords a little more shade during your hike instead of Devil's Bridge. I'd suggest Devil's Bridge if you can get a start close to sunrise.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,548 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona - GC itinerary

Your kids will find more to see and do in Sedona so adding the extra night there might be advisable. And if Slide Rock is a must, then it would be better on a week day, but don't even think about going in the afternoon. You'll waste 2 hours or more just waiting to get there.

Aurora, Illinois
Level Contributor
282 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona - GC itinerary

Thanks for the review! Slide Rock was going to be on a Friday but after reading all the reviews, I think I am pulling out my mom card and taking it off the list. We don't need any injuries on our 2nd day of vacation.

Any other afternoon suggestions? I assume it is so hot on a July afternoon, that I assume hiking is not much fun.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,217 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona - GC itinerary

Go to Red Rock Crossing. Plenty of water opportunities there in the creek in addition to great views. Take a picnic lunch. Lots of tables and rest rooms.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,548 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sedona - GC itinerary

July is warm, but 90 in Sedona will feel more like 78 in Chicago. There's no humidity and the afternoon breezes are cooling. Don't fear the heat.

6. Re: Sedona - GC itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 01, 2015