We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to Arizona

W B
Level Contributor
17 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
1st time to Arizona

My husband and I are looking into visiting Sedona and GCNP the middle of February. Should we stay the full week in Sedona and drive to the park or split the time between the 2 places. Would also like recommendations for the "must do" list. I love taking pictures and I'm sure I will have many opportunities for beautiful pictures. Looking for reasonable place to stay also. Thanks for any help.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,204 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to Arizona

I advise at least one night at the Grand Canyon National Park. If you have 7 nights, give 5 to Sedona and 2 to the GC.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to Arizona

Agree with RedRox. Make your reservations for GC asa possible www.grandcanyonlodges.com

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to Arizona

I also suggest splitting your time between Sedona and GC. I like RedRox's split of 5 for Sedona and 2 nights to GC. That will make for a much more relaxed trip.

There are a LOT of photo ops in Sedona, and the Grand Canyon is one HUGE photo op! Some of the obvious places for photos are the state parks around Sedona (Red Rock and Slide Rock), Airport Mesa and Red Rock Crossing. Also check out the Chapel of the Holy Cross. Shoot, just have your camera at the ready at all times as there are wonderful red rock views all over the place! A side trip to little town of Jerome is a good way to spend a day. It is an old mining town but is now full of art galleries.

On your way to or from Grand Canyon, you can also check out Sunset Crater and Wupatki National Monuments.

As for places to stay, pick lodging inside the park at the Grand Canyon (per the link that Tet provided). In Sedona, we have stayed at the Orchard Inn a couple of times and really liked it. It is in Sedona and each room has a lovely view of the red rocks.

Edited: 7:54 am, December 28, 2013
W B
Level Contributor
17 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time to Arizona

Thank you for your wonderful advice. I have now booked our trip! 3 nights at BA in GCNP and 4 nights at The Inn on Oak Creek in Sedona. I hope this is a good choice for us. We are celebrating our 30th anniversary and look forward to our trip.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,204 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time to Arizona

Two nights at the Grand Canyon National Park will probably be sufficient, especially in winter. Give the extra day back to Sedona.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
819 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time to Arizona

I also stringly suggest two nights at an in-park lodge of the GCNP, to be booked ASAP.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,298 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time to Arizona

Three nights at GC will give you alot of down time there. A day and two nights should be plenty. Stops at Wupatki and Sunset Crater between GC and Flagstaff are well wortwhile.

2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time to Arizona

GCNP can be done in a day or two. Sedona offers much more to do and is not as isolated.

W B
Level Contributor
17 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time to Arizona

Thanks everyone for the advice! I have now changed my booking to 2 nights at GCNP and 5 nights in Sedona! I can't wait to get there! Any suggestions on restaurants in Sedona?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,882 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time to Arizona

Dahl & DiLuca

Silver Saddle Room at the Cowboy Club

Harry's Hideaway in Cornville (thanks, RedRox)

Shugrue's Hillside