We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with winding roads in Sedona

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas
Level Contributor
65 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with winding roads in Sedona

I am traveling with someone who occasionally has motion/car sickness. I really want to see Sedona, but I don't want to make him miserable! How many curves and twists does 179 leading into Sedona have? If I avoid Oak Creek Canyon and 89, would I miss most of the winding roads but still see some of the sights? Thanks for any help!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,694 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with winding roads in Sedona

Yes, the Southern access(179) off the I-17 would suit your needs ... carracar

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with winding roads in Sedona

Drive into Sedona on 179 (coming from Phoenix, that's the way to go anyway), but you should still drive 89A into Oak Creek Canyon, as it's very pretty. You can just stop and turn around when the curves start.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,977 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with winding roads in Sedona

179 is completely non threatening. 89A up through Oak Creek Canyon has one single two mile climb known as the switchbacks. But you drive it at about 20mph. There are no motion issues to be concerned with.

4. Re: Need help with winding roads in Sedona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 21, 2014