We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Advise- visiting LasV., GrandC, Sedona, and Tucson.

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indiana
2 posts
Save Topic
Please Advise- visiting LasV., GrandC, Sedona, and Tucson.

Hi! My husband and I will be visting Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Sedona, and Tuscon July 17 through July 26th. I would appreciate any travel tips, i.e. best places to eat, sights not to miss, and good hotels (location, moderate/low cost). This is what our trip looks like so far, and advise would be greatly appreciated!

July 17 - arrive Las Vegas stay 2 nights at the Luxor.

July 19 - depart Las Vegas drive to Grand Canyon. Stay over night at

the Maswik Lodge in Grand Canyon Village.

July 20- depart Grand Canyon drive to Sedona. Stay two nights at

the Matterhorn Inn.

July 22- depart Sedona drive to Tuscon. Stay two/three nights with

family and/or possibly stay one night in Ajo.

July 25- depart Tuscon (or Ajo) depending where we decide to stay

and drive to Las Vegas. Stay the night at Bally's and see

Jubilee!

Thanks so much, hope to get some great responses!

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Advise- visiting LasV., GrandC, Sedona, and Tucson.

Hi

Maybe some of this will help and give you a few ideas.

19 July: Leave Las Vegas, early, on US95, then NV163, AZ95 and CoRd153 will bring you to Historic Route 66 and the old mining town of Oatman (www.ghosttowns.com/states/az/oatman.html). Continue on Route 66 over scenic Sitgreaves Pass, then I-40 and AZ64 will bring you to Grand Canyon Village.

20 July: Leave Grand Canyon Village on scenic AZ64, heading east, taking your last look at the canyon from the Watchtower at Desert View. Check out the trading post and very good restaurant at Cameron (www.camerontradingpost.com) before heading south on US89 to Flagstaff, taking the scenic loop road to Wupatki and Sunset Crater Volcano Nat Mons on the way. From Flagstaff scenic AZ89A, the beautiful Oak Creek Canyon, will bring you to Sedona.

21 July: A jeep tour (www.pinkjeeptours.com) of the beautiful Red Rocks in the morning, then take AZ89A to the old mining town of Jerome (www.azjerome.com) and maybe have a bite to eat at the oldest restaurant in Arizona, the English Kitchen. Return to Sedona by way of Tuzigoot Nat Mon. Just an idea, www.visitsedona.com will give you plenty more.

22 July: Leave Sedona on AZ179 to I-17 and at exit 289 turn off and visit Montezuma Castle Nat Mon. Return to I-17 and head south to Phoenix. Leave Phoenix on US60 then south on AZ87 and visit Casa Grande Ruins Nat Mon, near Coolidge. Join I-10 which will then bring you to Tucson.

23/24 July: Whilst in Tucson check out the Saguaro Nat Mon and the Tucson Mountain Park, with the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, the International Wildlife Museum and Old Tucson Studios. The Kartchner Caverns State Park and Tombstone 'The Town Too Tough To Die' aren't too far away. If you make it to Ajo you have to visit the Organ Pipe Cactus Nat Mon. www.arizonaguide.com for lodgings in Ajo.

25 July: From Tucson or Ajo return to Phoenix. Leave Phoenix on US60 and have a break at the 'dude' town of Wickenburg. Maybe visit the Desert Cabelleros Western Museum (www.westernmuseum.com) and for that typical Southwestern diner experience have a meal at the Horse Shoe Cafe. Leave Wickenburg on US93, the Joshua Forest Highway, then I-40 and US93 will bring you back to Las Vegas via the Hoover Dam.

Check out www.nps.gov for information on all National Parks and Monuments.

Hopefully you'll find some of this useful, have a great trip.

Tony

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Advise- visiting LasV., GrandC, Sedona, and Tucson.

I would add to what Fatbald suggested in Tucson. Everything he suggested is right on.

One day, go to the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, then to Old Tucson, just a couple of miles away, then to the Wildlife museum, just over Gates Pass, then a drive through Saguaro National Park West (the East branch is closed for the summer -- road work). To cap off the day, I suggest you go to our White Dove of the Desert, Mission San Xavier del Bac, and cap it of with a great mexican dinner at either Karichimaka, just north of the mission, or El Charro or Cafe Poca Cosa downtown.

The next day, definitely go to Kartchner Caverns (make advance reservations) and Tombstone, but also go to Bisbee, only about 30 miles past Tombstone.

I'm not really sure why you would want to go to Ajo, because there is not much there and it is pretty out of the way.

I have a document with links to all of the things on our (my and Fatbald) Tucson list, so if you want to send me an email (MikePinTucson@msn.com) I can send it to you.

Indiana
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Advise- visiting LasV., GrandC, Sedona, and Tucson.

This all sounds great! Thanks so much. Anything else I need to know? Does anyone know anything about The Adobe Graham Inn? We're just going to Ajo to visit my brother in-law! :)

4. Re: Please Advise- visiting LasV., GrandC, Sedona, and Tucson.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, August 14, 2009