We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona Alternative?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
25 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Sedona Alternative?

Family in Sedona next Monday for 4 days (13 and 14 yr olds). All the parks are closed, although my hotel said I could drive through them. Not exactly what we had planned (esp. Slide Rock). We are in Grand Canyon for 3 days prior. (Using Phoenix Airport). Any alternative city I look into is 110 degrees. Any suggestions? Sedona experts, can you weigh in please?

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
293 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona Alternative?

You could check out Monument Valley and Canyon de Chelly. If you want to stay in Arizona then the Payson area would a slightly cooler alternative. Good Luck.

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Payson
Payson
Arizona
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,817 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona Alternative?

It sounds like you had wanted to hike? The entire Coconino National Forest is closed as of Friday. That includes most every hiking trail in Northern Arizona.

I believe Walnut Canyon State Park will still be open, which is a little east of Flagstaff right off I-40. It'll be relatively cool. Sunset Crater National Monument should also still be open, and that's at about 8000'. Both are also certainly on the way to the Grand Canyon.

If you're looking for more of a town, Prescott is very nice. It's not as high as Sedona, but will certainly be cooler than Phoenix, and is also generally on the way to GC.

Mentioned in this post
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Prescott
Prescott
Arizona
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
New Jersey
Level Contributor
25 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona Alternative?

Closures:

Wupatki, Sunset Crater Volcano, and Walnut Canyon National Monuments will be CLOSED to the public beginning at 8 a.m. on Friday, June 23, 2006. The closure is due to extreme fire danger, and will remain in effect until sufficient precipitation occurs. This may be a period of several weeks.

We are going to GC first - think I'm going to cancel Sedona.

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
246 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona Alternative?

One of the downsides to this area is the dry climate and the threat of fires. I just returned from Sedona on my motorcycle a few minutes ago and the air was still pretty thick with smoke. You have to understand, fires are part of the program down here. Most are small, thanks to the Hot Shots.

To correct a previous poster, Sedona IS NOT higher than Prescott. In fact my house in Precott sits at 5800 while downtown Sedona is at about 4500 feet which I think sounds high, but must be right. We average several degrees cooler than Sedona. Prescott is flanked by two sections of the Prescott National Forest....which IS a forest....and currently there are only partial closures. That said, the forest is dry to the bone.

As for fun and attractions, Prescott has plenty to keep you busy. We're a pretty popular tourist destination (not to compare to Sedona!). Good museums. Cute downtown. Nice local hikes which should be open. Good proximity to the Canyon, Sedona, Jerome, Williams, and Flagstaff. Look into it.

Mentioned in this post
Prescott
Prescott
Arizona
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
5. Re: Sedona Alternative?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, August 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sedona