We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona for young adults/weather

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Sedona for young adults/weather

My husband and I are planning a trip to include our three children, ages 21, 23, and 24. Would the Sedona area be a good choice? Any suggestions on accomodations or other attractions to see, we are willing to drive a ways. Also, is the weather unbearable in July- have never been to this part of the country before and wonder if it is worth it in the heat of summer.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona for young adults/weather

Yes, it is very, very hot in July. Most folks stay indoors for the heat of the day and get active around sunset. In general, Sedona would be a fantastic place to visit if your children are active and enjoy the outdoors, art, and native american history.

Chandler, AZ
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona for young adults/weather

Well, I'm not your kids age but I've been coming to AZ since that age and now I live here.

First, the heat of Sedona, is NOT the heat of phoenix in july. Yes, days will be sunny and warm, possibly with thunderstorms in the late afternoon/evening. At night it will cool off reasonably. If you can take the heat/humidity of NC in July, Sedona will feel great to you. Not nearly as humid.

This weeks fire has put a damper on some activities. Slide Rock state park which they will love was closed, may still be. Should be reopening soon. I've heard some of the Jeep tours have been cancelled, they will love those too!

The majority of shopping in Sedona, is artsy and expensive, they will tire of that (unless they are all female!)

They will enjoy the college town feel of Flagstaff (about 45 minutes north) so make sure to make it there. If they are hikers, I can give you directions to a great hike (7 miles roundtrip, pretty easy) to a great swimming hole surrounded by red rock cliffs that the local young adults "cliff jump" into the water below. The hike begins about 25 minutes outside of Sedona.

Don't forget the old mining town of Jerome. If your kids are male, they will enjoy walking around that town a lot more than Sedona. There is an old brothel turned into a giftstore that pays homage to its brothel past. Sure they will get a kick out of that.

Sedona, AZ
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona for young adults/weather

The previous message gives some good information. One item needs to be correctd. Not only is the forest closed in Sedona but also Flagstaff. In other words there is no hiking in Flagstaff either.

Forest Service has put together a list of outdoor activies at the website below. (Scroll down about a page and you'll see the long list.)

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/

4. Re: Sedona for young adults/weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, August 15, 2009