We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sedona fires

Columbus, Ohio
13 posts
Save Topic
sedona fires

We are going to arrive in Sedona this Friday. I am a little concerned.

We are staying at the Raddison and have a pink jeep tour booked for Sunday morning. We were planning on doing a lot of hiking, and also wanted to go to slide rock. Does anyone know how bad these fires are? I know I've read a post about it but not sure where that area is compared to where we are staying.

Level Contributor
403 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sedona fires

Heading to Sedona tomorrow with my family. Called the Hilton Sedona and they said the area was safe and that the fires were further north. I read an article in the Arizona Republic that said the fires were 3 miles north of the Sedona Airport and were heading northeast.

I am also concerned and am considering booking another hotel in Scottsdale. Hotel reception at Hilton said we were fine, but also that some evacuees were booking into the hotel. Though I am sympathetic, a vacation for my family doesn't need this to deal with.

Anyone here anything else?

Chicago
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sedona fires

My folks have a home in Sedona and you will be fine at the Hilton!! There is plentry of good hiking northwest of Sedona-- our favorite is doe mountain hike.

I wouldn't cancel. you may not be able to go to slide rock but it is so crowded this time of year I would avoid it anyway. The west fork of the oak creek is a great hike but it sounds like it may be cut off by the fire.

When you are there you have to dine at Shugrues hillside Grille and Judy's restaurant they are two of our favorites.

You should go and check it out-- you can always move on to Scottsdale after a few days if you want.

I am heading out Thursday and am looking forward to getting out there!!

Have a Great Time!!

Chris Kesling

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sedona fires

Have a look at this website:

http://www.nazteam.com/assignments/maps.html

Click on "Brin's Fire Location Map"

You are both staying south of where the pointer points to the center of Sedona.....that is, you are staying along Hwy 179.

The south road and the west road are open. It is the north road (just to the right of the fire area) that is closed. That is beautiful Oak Creek Canyon, which is also where Slide Rock State Park is.

There is plenty of hiking and much more to do to the south and west of the center. I would still come to Sedona and enjoy your vacations.

Of course, no one knows what the coming days will bring. But I suspect the fire will not spread south.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
135 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sedona fires

Well you won't be going up Oak Creek Canyon (State Route 89A) as they have it closed. That's the route up to Slide Rock. I just watched the local evening news. One part of the fire is a half mile from Slide Rock state park.

As the other's have said, don't change your plans for Sedona but your hiking plans might need a bit of altering.

Call the Jeep Tour folks and talk to them.

It's best to get the news Right From the Horse's Mouth, as they say.

The Brin's Fire is still 100% uncontained and I don't see that changing before you get here due to conditions here in the state but ya just never know. The fire will most likely keep on it's northerly trek so the town of Sedona proper won't be affected by anything other than smoke. The winds are due to pick up in a day or so and the winds change direction at night. Winds and humidity will affect how they fight this fire and how long it will take them to get a handle on it.

Keep your eyes to the Forum and the news and keep in touch with your hotel too.

Don't stress it and think of the extra cool stories you'll have to tell when you get home from This vacation!!

5. Re: sedona fires

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 13, 2009