We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning itinerary for Sedona

Huntington Beach...
7 posts
Save Topic
Planning itinerary for Sedona

My husband and I have booked five nights in Sedona. This is our first trip. We enjoy hiking and are also interested in the Indian history. And of course we want to relax and recuperate from work! We are in our mid fifties and pretty fit.How can we achieve a balance of relaxation and being active (although often they are the same!)?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,310 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning itinerary for Sedona

Sedona is one of the most reading places on earth. There are many ruins sites all around Sedona and each one offers unique insight into the ancients and their cultures. With 5 days you can visit the most significant sites including Montezuma Castle ad Well, V-Bar-V, Tuzigoot, Palatki, Honanki and Walnut Canyon and Wupatki to the north. Do you plan to visit the Grand Canyon NP?

You can combine these ruins excursions with other sightseeing and hikes along with other attractions in Sedona.

www.visitsedona.com

Huntington Beach...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning itinerary for Sedona

No, we have visited the Grand Canyon, Bryce, etc. a few times in the past. I was looking at the map and seeing where hiking trails were close to the ruins. wondering e.g. if we could hike Boynton early in the day and then visit the ruins. I know mid-day gets pretty hot...trying to figure that out. We are staying in Village of Oak Creek.Or we could start with Tuzigoot and then back track to Palatki and V-Bar. Have visited Wupatki years ago when we went to GrC. I wasn't sure whether Montezuma's Castle would disappoint me since I was able to get so close to the ruins in Mesa Verde. But my husband might love it enough so I could get him to Mesa Verde sometime.

Huntington Beach...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning itinerary for Sedona

Yikes! I see that V-Bar-V is over by Montezuma's Castle and Well. Ok!

Huntington Beach...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning itinerary for Sedona

We will be there 4th of July. What do you suggest for late afternoon, evening?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning itinerary for Sedona

I think Redrox meant to say "Sedona is one of the most RELAXING (not "reading") places on earth". He is correct.

Montezuma Castle is pretty nice. Definitely go to Montezuma Well. Make sure you walk down the steps to the pool. Also go down the path on the way out down to where the pool drains out. Very nice, secluded, and cool.

For us, late afternoon and evening is a time to just browse a bit, sit in some shade with a cool drink (people-watch) and have an unhurried dinner. Particularly when it is hot.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,228 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning itinerary for Sedona

Here's the upcoming July 4th event in Sedona:

www.sedonaaz.gov/sedonacms/index.aspx…

No fireworks here due to extreme fire danger.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,310 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning itinerary for Sedona

Darned spell check! Yes, I meant relaxing.

Don't try to micro manage your plans yet. You can easily visit Montezuma Castle, Well and V-Bar-V in a half day. They allow allow/require some moderate walking/hiking. You would have time remaining for other activies.

Tuzigoot is near Cottonwood and historic Jerome. Together they make a good day. Palatki and Honanki are west of town and easily combined with a hike at Boynton Canyon or Doe Mtn. Walnut Canyon and Wupatki are up near Flagstaff and also combine easily and you'll drive Oak Creek Canyon twice as a bonus.

Huntington Beach...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning itinerary for Sedona

Gee, "reading" made perfect sense to me and I thought, wow! he completely know me! Half my luggage is books and the other half shoes...But I will go the relaxing and try starting right now with just taking in all of your ideas and not agonizing too much about schedules. Our idea of a great trip is a good long hike before breakfast, then another hike and an afternoon siesta!

Huntington Beach...
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning itinerary for Sedona

Thanks so much. It sounds like a lot of fun. The laser lights actually compliment the stars in the desert sky much more.

Huntington Beach...
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning itinerary for Sedona

I was going to skip the Well - it didn't sound all that interesting to me, but your description made me visualize it so well..it reminded me f how much I enjoyed the hot pools and geysers of Yellowstone. After reading about the different restaurants and all the spot along the creek I can tell we will have many beautiful relaxation spots to chose from.