We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do?.enroute to sky harbor from Sedona

Rocky Point, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
what to do?.enroute to sky harbor from Sedona

Turns out we have the redeye home to ny from Phoenix in a week. After we check out late morning from Oak aCreek Canyon, we Are wondering what to do en route to sky harbor for near midnight flight. A food stop Included... Not interested in Phoenix at all...

Something scenic and special along the drive back? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do?.enroute to sky harbor from Sedona

Several great routes. You can drive from Sedona to Camp Verde, to Strawberry and Pine, see Tonto Natural Bridge and to Payson (foodstop) and south to Phx or you even can continue to Lake Roosevelt and take Apache Trail (88, 22 miles unpaved) to Apache Junction where Gold field ghosttown is. Or you can drive from Sedona to Jerome, over Mingus Mountains to Prescott (Whiskey Row) to Wickenburg (Vulture Mines) and to Phx after that.

Mentioned in this post
Payson
Payson
Arizona
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
Prescott
Prescott
Arizona
Rocky Point, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do?.enroute to sky harbor from Sedona

Thank you..an alternate scenic way back works for me! We have about ten hours before we need to check in.

Taking he canyon verde evening ride May 25. Train. My daughter and I are looking forward to that.

Amy other suggestions for the Sedona time? We decided to go with the spirit guide friends loved ...for a vortex morning Saturday.

We like nature...nothing strenuous cor my bursitis knee..and not avid outlet or shoppers!!! Do like native and local...ESP.; forma few snacks n fruit n cheese..so a mom n pop place would be great too.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do?.enroute to sky harbor from Sedona

In Sedona New Frontiers (Grocery) has all kinds of fresh fruit and veggies, baked goods, and a deli. They can make sandwiches and wraps and heat deli items too.

If you go to Oak Creek Canyon visit the Indian Gardens for sandwiches, snacks and especially their lemon bars! Neither are Mom and Pop, just good food.

Check the links on the right, trip reports, and Things to Do section for ideas.

Mentioned in this post
Oak Creek Canyon
Oak Creek Canyon
2,906 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Rocky Point, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do?.enroute to sky harbor from Sedona

Thank you very much! Once u leave the land of chain food...you forget all food can be good!!! My daughter and I are going to have such a wonderful time.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do?.enroute to sky harbor from Sedona

I noticed an earlier post about not hiking. You don't have to hike to see Sedona. You can drive through Oak Creek Canyon, great place for hot days, but best done during the week.

You can drive out through W. Sedona to Jerome and check a few shops, have lunch, and take in the panoramic view.

You can go see Bell Rock and Cathedral Rock and take pictures and then take Beaver Creek Road (179 past the USFS station) to Cornville Road and go right and take that to 89A and go to Page Springs or back to Sedona.

There are many more possibilities.

Mentioned in this post
Oak Creek Canyon
Oak Creek Canyon
2,906 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
Bell Rock
Bell Rock
3,934 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Cathedral Rock
Cathedral Rock
4,948 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do?.enroute to sky harbor from Sedona

Correction:

I should have said Beaverhead Flat Road.

Rocky Point, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: what to do?.enroute to sky harbor from Sedona

Thanks!

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,759 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to do?.enroute to sky harbor from Sedona

If you don't have Montezuma Castle and Well on your itinerary, look into those. Jerome to Prescott is an awesome drive and i love both towns for their history and character. Or you could drive to Prescott and then exit town through the western end and drive down the grade through the ranch lands of Peeples Valley and into Wickenburg (stop for ice cream at Chaparral Ice Cream Parlor) and down into Phx from there.

Mentioned in this post
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
Prescott
Prescott
Arizona
9. Re: what to do?.enroute to sky harbor from Sedona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, May 29, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sedona