We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Fork hiking and Bell Rock question

New York
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Topic
West Fork hiking and Bell Rock question

Hi all,

We are trying to fit two hikes we have been wanting to do, on the first morning of our trip. We would like to hike Bell Rock and then do a more leisurely hike at West Fork trail. Is it feasible to do these two hikes back to back? We are in good shape and have hiked Cathedral Rock in the past and really enjoyed it. I just wasn't sure about the time it might take to complete them, and also how close (or far apart) the two trails are. Just looking for a little advice:) thank you in advance!

Also, another q: we would like to go to Slide Rock on one of the days we are there. We will be there next week. What is the best time to arrive to dodge crowds and find a decent parking space? We would most likely go on a Monday or Tuesday.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,402 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West Fork hiking and Bell Rock question

Not a good plan IMO.

Bell Rock is in Village of Oakcreek, south of Sedona. Walking or climbing on Bell Rock deserves at least an hour and in the the morning is best combined with the Courthouse Loop or part of the Bell Rock Pathway. It's a great place to wander and get settled on your first morning in Sedona.

West Fork is way up in Oak Creek Canyon, a good 10-15 miles away and is a creek walk that deserves a few hours. You'll need a good half hour to get between the two places.

Can it be done? Yes. But why? When visiting Sedona you should NEVER be rushing from one place to get to another.

Slide Rock SP is also in Oak Creek Canyon and would be better combined with West Fork IMO. I wouldn't worry about crowds at Slide Rock. It's not hot enough yet, and we don't have the summer vacation family crowds here. Those crowds usually don't begin to grow until late June.

New York
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: West Fork hiking and Bell Rock question

Great idea- I like the idea of combining West Fork and Slide Rock then...sounds like a good combo! It's good to know Slide Rock won't exactly be a bustling hot spot:) Is it warm enough to enjoy,, or is it still too cool? Thanks for your help!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
61,402 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West Fork hiking and Bell Rock question

Warm enough? You'll have to make that decision. People are going there and I've heard reports of some in the water. My blood is too thin.

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
451 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West Fork hiking and Bell Rock question

There was a family that went to Slide Rock in March and their kids jumped right and had fun...it's fed by snow melt...too cold for me!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,426 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West Fork hiking and Bell Rock question

While Slide Rock is a nice park, the attraction is the natural water slide. The hiking and scenery is much more interesting at West Fork with the canyon and creek views IMO.

New York
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: West Fork hiking and Bell Rock question

Thank you all for the replies! I have never been to West Fork, and have been to Slide Rock, but it's been MANY years ago. Can someone tell me how to get from West Fork TO Slide Rock? I've been doing a little research, but obviously not enough, b/c I can't figure it out! lol

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
61,402 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: West Fork hiking and Bell Rock question

Just follow 89A down Oak Creek Canyon. It can't be any easier. You will pass Slide Rock SP on your way to West Fork.

Edited: 6:48 pm, May 04, 2013
Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
85 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: West Fork hiking and Bell Rock question

It's easy. it's on Route 89A and you go past Slide Rock Park to get to West Fork. So it's south, back toward Sedona on 89A from West Fork. enjoy, happy hiking.

New York
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: West Fork hiking and Bell Rock question

Easy breezy :) Thank you again for the help!

10. Re: West Fork hiking and Bell Rock question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 06, 2014