We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Sedona with 4 kids. Poco Diablo or Amara?

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
4 posts
Save Topic
4 days in Sedona with 4 kids. Poco Diablo or Amara?

We're taking our spring break 3/29 thru 4/5 and we decided to split our week between Sedona and Scottsdale (previously had booked the whole week in Scottsdale but we want to do Sedona and GCNP)

Even knowing we can't please everybody, this is getting ridiculous and I need some input please :)

Our kids are 4, 6, 15 and 16. I would like a hotel that has a little something for everyone yet is still nice; as many amenities as possible. Poco Diablo seems to be it and one of the last few affordable resorts that can accomodate us in 2 rooms. My husband isn't entirely sold because the hotel and rooms look dated. He likes the Amara. It seems more of a romantic place to me. It looks beautiful and the reviews are glowing, but...we have 4 kids and all I see there is one smallish but pretty pool!

If you had kids and these two hotel choices, which would you choose? Any thoughts on the Hilton, in comparison?

One more question about tours and activities. Is the Pink Jeep tour appropriate for 4 and 6 year olds?

Thanks in advance!!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,823 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Sedona with 4 kids. Poco Diablo or Amara?

The Pink Jeep tour is appropriate for the entire family. Poco is a bit dated, although they eel trying to update and improve the rooms and facilities. Amara is much newer . It would be my choice though for the location in Uptown. Your (older) kids will be able to walk to shops and entertainment. From Poco you won't walk to anywhere. The Hilton is another excellent choice for amenities, though far from Uptown.

When looking for lodging in Sedona, NEVER choose by the appearance of a pool. Let your kids be real kids. Oak Creek is the most popular aquatic feature in Sedona. It's loaded with great swimming spots including Red Rock Crossing, Slide Rock, Grasshopper Point and many more. If you are hanging around your hotel swimming pool, you are wasting your time in Sedona. It is not a typical resort destination.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,904 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Sedona with 4 kids. Poco Diablo or Amara?

Our daughter regularly stays at Amara with her two girls and sometimes their friends - all teens. They love it and the convenience to the shops. What teen doesn't love to shop.

I agree with Poco Diablo. The Yavapai Nation from Ft. McDowell owns the resort and are slowly - slower than expected - renovating it.

The Hilton is further away from uptown but has the best pool. Not the most convenient to my way of thinking.

I second Red Rock Crossing for everyone.

Seattle, Washington
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in Sedona with 4 kids. Poco Diablo or Amara?

Thanks for the tips, so very much appreciated!! We have never been to Sedona. We are now leaning towards the Hilton and will be deciding this today.

Is Oak Creek warm enough to go in, now? And how far from Hilton are those popular spots. Amara sounds wonderful for the location but only my daughter (and me) like to shop and I'm worried about my younger two needing space to run around and be loud. They are not boutique friendly kids :) We'll be doing as many easy hikes as we can fit in. And for sure the Pink Jeep tour!

Thanks again!

Yorba Linda...
Level Contributor
103 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in Sedona with 4 kids. Poco Diablo or Amara?

I am too coming at the same time and wondering if it is warm enough for a day planned at Oak Creek is the most popular aquatic feature in Sedona. It's loaded with great swimming spots including Red Rock Crossing, Slide Rock, Grasshopper Point and many more. Last time I went to Sedona I remember the water at slide rock being FREEZING. Would love an update on this. I also remember that being one of the few areas that was really over crowded with people. Wasn't my favorite for this reason.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,823 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in Sedona with 4 kids. Poco Diablo or Amara?

The water is always cold in the creek. April is when the weather begins to get warm enough for swimming. IMO, if it's too cold to swim in the creek, it's too cold to swim in a pool too.

I repeat, my advice from post number 1. Swimming and swimming pools are not a priority in Sedona. There are way more things to keep you busy in Sedona. In the summer you'll want the refreshing cold water. Any other time there will be other diversions and you won't miss swimming. Trust me.

Yorba Linda...
Level Contributor
103 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in Sedona with 4 kids. Poco Diablo or Amara?

I stayed at Amara when I went to Sedona years ago with my then 3 and 5 year old. I would stay at Amara again in a heartbeat. The location is great. You can actually go down the back steps and you are out in a gorgeous nature setting. The first day we arrived at the hotel we were busy for hours down there hiking around. I would be staying there this time but found getting two rooms is just out of my price range with the other people that are joining us and we are doing a suite at the Hilton. I don't remember ever having time to swim in the swimming pool on our last trip to Sedona nor do I remember the kids ever having a desire. There's just to much to do and see. It's been a long time since I have been though

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,823 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in Sedona with 4 kids. Poco Diablo or Amara?

Thanks for confirming bidder. Folks can't understand Sedona until they experience it. You have, and your testament is consistent with most others.

Seattle, Washington
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days in Sedona with 4 kids. Poco Diablo or Amara?

bidder 5000, we decided on Hilton also. I will definitely book Amara for when it is just my husband and me. 2 rooms are steep and my teens just wouldn't appreciate it!

My kids will still want to see Oak Creek and Slide Rock, but I bet they won't go in :). We're from Seattle and we are all looking for warmth! I began to feel like I wanted to book the Hampton Inn, and save a ton of $$ for all the stuff we'll be doing OUTSIDE the hotel.

RedRox, thank you for your input, there should be a shrine in your honor here on TA! You can take credit for my decision to spend half our vacation in Sedona vs Scottsdale!

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
447 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 days in Sedona with 4 kids. Poco Diablo or Amara?

The Hiton is very family friendly and has a few areas that the kids can get out and play wiffle ball and run around. The pool is very family friendly, which with younger children is probably the most important part of the trip. But as RR said, be sure to put old clothes on and let everyone wade in Oak Creek. Even you teens will enjoy it. make a brief stop at the trout fishing area up Oak Creek and have everyone feed the trout. Just bring plenty of quarters for the gum ball machine that dispenses the fish food. A trip to Jerome, Montezuma's Castle and Montezuma's Well is a side trip that everyone will like.

Pocp Diablo has lots of area to run around on but is dated.

10. Re: 4 days in Sedona with 4 kids. Poco Diablo or Amara?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 18, 2014