We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Sedona a good trip while pregnant?

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is Sedona a good trip while pregnant?

My husband and I are planning a trip for my spring break during the last weekend of March.

I recently found out I am pregnant (I will be 14-15 weeks at that time) and we are looking to find a vacation that will not consist of things I am unable to do. I have always wanted him to take me to Arizona (he lived there when he was a kid) and we are thinking this may be a good place.

Unfortunately because I have a history of miscarriages I have to be careful where I go and what I do when there. My Dr. gave me the ok to go on vacation, air travel, etc. but I need to go somewhere I can "take it easy". (Our original trip idea was Tokyo but we decided against it due to the long flight)

I am typically very adventure oriented on vacation so not being able to do these things is different for us and we're not really sure what to look for. We love spas and stargazing, and would like to go around Uptown to see the galleries and shops and I would be interested in the vortexes so these are some things we can do. I just don't know how long we should stay.

I want to know if it is possible to experience Sedona and its beauty without long hikes. I looked at other threads and know I can't do the Jeep tours or hot air balloons, or horseback riding. I am allowed to walk and light hike (the issue isn't so much the action of hiking as the length of time the hike lasts and if I will be stuck in the middle of nowhere if I get tired).

Do you think Sedona is worth it with my restrictions? What tipes of activities/nature can I see? Are there tours that take you to the great sightseeing spots without requiring too much activity?

Also we were thinking of doing an overnight in southern Utah (either Bryce, Monument Valley, etc.). If anyone is familiar with these places and if they're a good idea I would appreciate any input as well.

Thanks!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,428 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Sedona a good trip while pregnant?

Sedona should be ideal. It's one of the most beautiful and relaxing places in the world.

Obviously you'll stay out of jeeps and balloons. But the key to getting around Sedona is by using your car and your feet. You don't have to hike far or high to experience the beauty. It's more about spending time.

I see no reason to discourage you. If the doctor says it will be OK to fly, that would have been my biggest concern.

As for an over night at Bryce or Monument Valley, keep in mind that these places are a long way from Sedona. MV is a four hour drive, and once you get there, you'll not be able to tour the tribal park, as the roads are basically unmaintained and would probably be more dangerous than a jeep tour in Sedona. Bryce is even farther away. Closer to a five hour drive. I'm not sure that the pay off for all that drive time is worth it.

Have you ever been to the Grand Canyon? That would be a much more sensible over night trip from Sedona.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Sedona a good trip while pregnant?

Thanks for the advice! The more we look Sedona seems to be our top choice.

How far of a drive is the Grand Canyon? We were planning on just taking a day trip. If it's 2 hours or less we probably will just do that rather than re-pack our bags and switch hotels (I'm not good at packing light and tend to "move in" to hotel rooms quickly). 3 hours or more would be our overnight cutoff. Thanks for the heads up on Monument Valley. I will have to look and see if Utah is really a reasonable side trip this time. I have always wanted to go but mainly for the hiking/photography so it may be something we put off.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,428 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Sedona a good trip while pregnant?

The GCNP is a two hour drive. But being there over night makes it a completely different experience. If you're willing to pack for an over night stay anywhere, GCNP is probably the easiest. Just bring your basic toiletries and an extra layer or two for the night and early morning. It's not about the hotel room. It's all about the Grand Canyon. You'll brush your teeth and go to bed. No one will care if you are wearing the same clothes the next day.

If you're willing to drive three hours each way and want to see some gorgeous scenery, consider Page. But again, some of the most fun activities around Page might be beyond what your doctor would advise.

www.visitpageaz.com

4. Re: Is Sedona a good trip while pregnant?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 15, 2014