We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flagsttaff-Sedona for a week; fun, adventure and great food

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
massachusetts
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Flagsttaff-Sedona for a week; fun, adventure and great food

It looks like you are the resident expert and would like a simple 7 day recommendation of a trip late March early April. We are staying 3 nights in Flagstaff and 5 nights in Sedona. We are looking forward to seeing as much as possible and dining at the best restaurants around...and if there is any night life you can reccomend that would be helpful also!

Thanks

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flagsttaff-Sedona for a week; fun, adventure and great food

If I don't ask, someone else will: why are you staying in Flagstaff? Flagstaff is 90 minutes away from Grand Canyon South Rim. Have you considered staying at Grand Canyon National Park or Grand Canyon Village South? Most would say that is the best way to go because you can easily experience sunset and/or sunrise at the rim by staying closer to it.

That being said, if you have hotel points that can only be redeemed in Flagstaff and/or personally prefer to have a "home base" for several days instead of moving around from hotel to hotel, I can understand that as well. Flagstaff also has more in the way of nightlife. So if you decide to keep your lodging in Flagstaff, day trips can be made to Grand Canyon South Rim (90 minutes each way), Lake Powell (2.5 hours each way), perhaps Petrified Forest/Painted Desert/Meteor Crater (~ 2 hours each way).

All the afore-mentioned attractions can be visited on a self-drive basis easily. If you're looking for a little adventure, perhaps on one of your days in Flagstaff you might take a 4WD tour to the bottom of the Grand Canyon on the Diamond Creek Road. That's someplace you shouldn't take your Ford Taurus rental car to ;-) Info ->: http://bit.ly/YugXPx

If you're still open to modifying your itinerary, you might consider something more along the lines of 3 days in Sedona, 2 in Grand Canyon National Park and 2 in Page/Lake Powell. The key issue will be availability (or lack thereof) of Grand Canyon lodging. For inside the park visit www.grandcanyonlodges.com or call 888-297-2757 For Tusayan aka Grand Canyon Village South you can book via Expedia, Travelocity or whomever you prefer.

massachusetts
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flagsttaff-Sedona for a week; fun, adventure and great food

we are open to anything, do you think 5 nights in Sedona is too much? or for the matter 3 in Flagstaff ( and yes it does have to do with accomodation deals!)

thanks

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flagsttaff-Sedona for a week; fun, adventure and great food

Sedona is one of those places where you can easily spend 5 days and wish you had more time, but if it's your first time in this part of the country, maybe reduce that to 3 days and spend 2 days in Lake Powell.

Where are you flying into and out of? Phoenix or Las Vegas?

massachusetts
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flagsttaff-Sedona for a week; fun, adventure and great food

what do you think of the Colorado River Float?

massachusetts
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flagsttaff-Sedona for a week; fun, adventure and great food

Phoenix

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flagsttaff-Sedona for a week; fun, adventure and great food

The Colorado River Float Trip is a great experience. The time of year you're traveling will probably be too cold for shorts and swimsuits (the water in the river is 48 degrees F year round anyway), but the scenery is still beautiful and you don't get wet because the water is smooth.

If you take us up on the suggestion to go to Page/Lake Powell, you can take the trip directly from there as a half-day. www.raftthecanyon.com If you keep your lodging in Flagstaff, you can drive up to Page yourself and take the trip from there, or look into a day tour offered by one of the local providers such as Grand Canyon Store, Silver Spur Tours or Red Stone Tours. Info ->: http://bit.ly/VheZVa

massachusetts
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flagsttaff-Sedona for a week; fun, adventure and great food

That is a great suggestion; I think a day trip will work! Looks great.

Any recommendations for restaurants? I see that Elote comes highly reccomended do you have any other personnal favorites?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,514 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flagsttaff-Sedona for a week; fun, adventure and great food

Great advice so far from K-Bot.

5 nights in Sedona will still leave you wanting more. You won't run out of things to see or do and keep you entertained.

I'll agree that if you want another base, Page would be more appealing than Flag IMO. Less nightlife but the day life more than makes up for it. The raft trip is awesome, but it might be chilly. And regardless of whether you choose Flag or Page, I'd still recommend one night at the GCNP in one of the park lodges

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,514 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flagsttaff-Sedona for a week; fun, adventure and great food

Sedona is loaded with great dining. My favorites include Elote, Harry's Hideaway, Dans Bistro, Cucina Rustica and Silver Saddle at the Cowboy Club

Edited: 3:30 pm, January 09, 2013
massachusetts
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flagsttaff-Sedona for a week; fun, adventure and great food

Thanks REdRox, I will see what I can find for the night and looking forward to trying your suggestions for dining.