We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring Break 2013 (Phoenix to GCNP to Sedona) 7 nights

Oregon
Level Contributor
152 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Spring Break 2013 (Phoenix to GCNP to Sedona) 7 nights

I am hoping you can provide me with some advice. We are planning an Arizona trip for Spring Break. We fly into Phoenix on Monday, March 25 and depart on Monday, April 1 (7 nights).

Our itinerary is flexible (mostly). This is what we have so far.

2 nights at the Kimpton Firesky resort in Scottsdale

(We are hoping for some sunshine and warm weather)

I was able to get a good deal, but I can easily cancel or change this reservation.

1 night at the El Tovar (GCNP)

We were lucky enough to book the Fred Harvey Suite

3 nights in Sedona

(TBA) I was hoping to book Enchantment Resort, but it is so darn expensive ($500+ per night!).

1 night in downtown Phoenix

(I got a good deal at the Kimpton Hotel Monaco)

What do you think? We will be with my son, age 8 (3rd grade). We love to hike and hope to soak up lots of sunshine.

Do we need to try and book a 2nd night at the Grand Canyon? Should we consider the train? Is it worth it if we have to switch properties?

If so are 2 nights in Sedona enough? We can cancel the night in Phoenix and still have 3 nights in Sedona. If so do you have a resort that you would recommend in Sedona? Is Enchantment worth the splurge?

I appreciate your expertise and any advise you can offer.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,833 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring Break 2013 (Phoenix to GCNP to Sedona) 7 nights

I like the basic plan. You certainly don't need Enchantment at Sedona. If you're shopping deals in the Valley, be more sensible about Sedona too. There's something for every budget and $500 per night is way more than I would spend. Use the money for a jeep tour instead.

Forget about the train to the GC. It's also a waste of time and very expensive. One night at the park should be sufficient.

I'm not sure that I'd be in a hurry to go back to PHX for that last night either, unless you need to fly out early on the following day.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring Break 2013 (Phoenix to GCNP to Sedona) 7 nights

Being hikers I suggest to stay GC for 2 nights. On the drive between Scottsdale to GC entering via its east entrance are many places worth a stop like Montezuma Castle and Well, Walnut Canyon, Sunset Crater, Wupatki and Cameron. After GC you can take its south entrance and drive via Flagstaff and az89A via Oak Creek Canyon to Sedona.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,373 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring Break 2013 (Phoenix to GCNP to Sedona) 7 nights

Everyone has their opionion, but Sedona has weeks worth of varied hiking opportunities. You may still find ice on the trails below the rim at GC, not ideal hiking IMO. GC is still worth a night for sunset and sunrise. Wupatki and Sunset Crater are well worth a stop, if you have time. Enjoy!

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
449 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring Break 2013 (Phoenix to GCNP to Sedona) 7 nights

There may still be a lot of snow in the GCNP. Stay overnight as planned, then head to Sedona. Lower elevation and warmer, with lots of things to do with an 8 yo. If you are looking for views, Best Western Plus has awsm views and large open balcony's and is reasonable. You might try L'auberge as it is on Oak Creek but may be pricey too. The Hilton in VOC is always a good choice too.

Check out the Verde Canyon railroad for a local train ride that follows the Verde River:

Oregon
Level Contributor
152 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring Break 2013 (Phoenix to GCNP to Sedona) 7 nights

Thanks so much. I am grateful for your feedback. All GCNP hotels are booked the night of March 28, so adding a 2nd night is unlikely What do you think about the Cameron Trading post for 1 night. We can drive into the park from the south and out through the east before heading to Sedona for 3 nights? It will help reduce the driving and allow us to maximize our short time ( 1 night) in the park. There are not many lodging options to the East of GCNP and north of Flagstaff. This is all I could find.

Thanks again and happy travels in 2013!

Oregon
Level Contributor
152 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring Break 2013 (Phoenix to GCNP to Sedona) 7 nights

One more option...

What about renting a cabin (46 miles from the south entrance) near Williams?

http://www.vrbo.com/55065

We can enter GCNP from the East on Wednesday, March 27 and depart through the South on Thursday, March 28.

There is a 2-night minimum, so this would cut into our Sedona time (we would only have 2 nights left for Sedona -- 1 full day).

Worth it?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,833 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring Break 2013 (Phoenix to GCNP to Sedona) 7 nights

No point in staying in Williams for two nights. Cameron Trading Post makes more sense.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring Break 2013 (Phoenix to GCNP to Sedona) 7 nights

Cancellations often happen in GCNP. Maybe phone them 888 297 2757

Oregon
Level Contributor
152 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spring Break 2013 (Phoenix to GCNP to Sedona) 7 nights

Great news... El Tovar had a cancellation so we now have 2 nights at GCNP!

We will be in Sedona for 3 nights (with our 8 year old son) over Easter weekend. We would love to be walking distance to uptown. I can't seem to decide between Amara, Hyatt and Best Western. So far, Amara has the best rate.

Any strong favorites?

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Spring Break 2013 (Phoenix to GCNP to Sedona) 7 nights

The Orchards is uptown, but the ultimate resort, L'Auberge is right on Oak Creek, is quiet and within walking distance to uptown. Staying uptown has a few perks, but is also heavy with traffic. You might as well stay anywhere in Sedona as the town is not very walkable, and plan on driving a car to most places. Sedona Rouge is nice and a few miles from downtown, but has many places you can walk to for food/shopping.