We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LV to Sedona ?

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
141 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
LV to Sedona ?

We'll be arriving in LV at 12:30 pm and will be driving to Sedona to stay for the week. The kids would LOVE to stop in Oatman and see the burros wandering around the town and I am wondering if this is doable? Looking at a map, it seems like it's kind of on the way with just a little detour.....hard to tell though. We would love to fit this in, any advice would be very much appreciated!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,514 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LV to Sedona ?

The detour is relatively short, but not little. LV to Sedona is normally a 5-6 hour drive under good conditions. You've already been discouraged from stopping at the dam which is actually on the way. A detour to Oatman will add 2-3 hours to the day. It's a climb up old RT66 and then back to the highway. I would encourage you to head straight to Sedona.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LV to Sedona ?

Arriving 12.30 you won''t be on the road before 1.30 pm. As RedRox says it''s not a short detour to drive via Oatman and between november and march you''ll lose one hour for timedifference between Nevada and Arizona.

Ohio
Level Contributor
141 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LV to Sedona ?

Looks like we'll have to scratch Oatman from our list too. Is there anywhere that would be interesting to stop along the way just to give the kids a break from the long ride from LV to Sedona ? Also, I could post a new question but I might as well just ask here and now....we're planning to do a day trip to GCNP from Sedona (decided not to spend the night at the Park but rather leave Sedona a day earlier to stay closer to airport in LV and get to see Hoover Dam that way on our last day). What is the best way to get to GCNP from Sedona that would allow us to make a stop at Cameron Trading Post (looks interesting) and will that route take us through Oak Creek Canyon?Thanks for your patience and willingness to answer all of my questions...I wish we could "do it all" but realize that we can't and I want to make the most of our time there .

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,178 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LV to Sedona ?

Stop in Seligman and see some of thje rt 66 history. Here is a primer for the place. There is probably better info than this floating around: route66seligmanarizona.com/Historic_Route_66…

From Flagstaff you jump onto US89 and head North to Cameron, then head into GC's East Entrance/AZ64/ Desert View drive

On your question about Oak Creek Canyon, I think pulling up a map of the area would be beneficial. With your drive to/from Sedona and the day trips you are wanting to do, you have the opportunity to drive that canyon six times. Just pull up a google map of Falgstaff and see where things are.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LV to Sedona ?

Another vote for Seligman. It stood at the base for the Cars 1 movie.

6. Re: LV to Sedona ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 31, 2013