We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona day trip from Phx

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Sedona day trip from Phx

My father is visiting and we want to do a day trip tomorrow. I have been 1 time before and did some site seeing. What I would like to know is, is there a place that is a fairy easy hike to see something neat. I did see these tings called slot canyons and really wanted to go there but I see that is in Page and I dont want to drive that far. Is there something neat like that in Sedona we could see on our own without a guide? It will be me and my husband in our 30's my father (54) and daughter (5). We have already seen the chapel and we dont have ay interest in seeing stuff like that. I would appreciate your suggestions. Thanks

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,530 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona day trip from Phx

It will take about 2 hours to drive each way. Stop and take a hike on Bell Rock. It's not about climbing to the top. Go to Red Rock Crossing and take a walk there.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona day trip from Phx

Thanks! we will def do these 2 things. How do we go about getting there and which one would we go to first? Can you give me some type of directions to get to these places? Thank you!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
63,530 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona day trip from Phx

You'll come to Bell Rock on 179 as you approach Sedona from I-17. Park at the Couthouse Butte turn out on the north side of Bell Rock.

For Red Rock Crossing go south on 89A from the 179 roundabout. Turn left onto Upper Red Rock Loop Rd and follow the signs to Crescent Moon SP. $9 per car entry fee required.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona day trip from Phx

great thanks! I see Bell Rock is the site of a vortex so Im reading up on exactly what that means. Do you actually feel it?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
63,530 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sedona day trip from Phx

Vortexes are a myth. There is energy in Sedona and most people experience something. But if you go searching or projecting expectations, you'll probably be disappointed.

Simply arrive with an open mind. And while you may have been there once before, I would strongly encourage a stop at the Chapel of the Holy Cross.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sedona day trip from Phx

one more thing, is there a place to stop and get lunch before we get to bell rock so we can have a picnic lunch there? A sandwich shop or something along those lines?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
63,530 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sedona day trip from Phx

The high temperature in Sedona tomorrow is forecast to be 43'. That won't happen until early afternoon. I would plan to eat your lunch indoors. Even in the sunshine, tomorrow won't be a good day for a picnic on Bell Rock IMO.

You can get a good lunch in the Village of Oakcreek at the Red Rock Cafe on Verde Valley School Rd next to the IGA. This will be before you get to Bell Rock, although you will have seen it quite clearly. For something even more casual, try Blue Moon Cafe on 179. You can get good food to take out there too if you insist on trying a picnic.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sedona day trip from Phx

Is there a place I can bring my daughter to see Santa in Sedona tomorrow and get a picture? We were going to do it here before we left but being I want to have time to go to both places I rather get driving earlier.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
63,530 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sedona day trip from Phx

None that I know of.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
55 posts