We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the drive from PHX to Sedona

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new haven
Level Contributor
3 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
the drive from PHX to Sedona

I will be drivng after 5p.m. next week--is it challenging at night?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
220 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the drive from PHX to Sedona

If you mean you will be travelling after 5pm during the winter time, then yes, you are correct to say it will be dark. I don't know if you will fiind it that challenging. It is certainly darker than CT, but the roads are well marked and maintained. You will, most likely, be driving up I-17 for the majority of your trip which is a major interstate and easily travelled even with a few of the hill climbs you will experience. Leaving the interstate you will be on 179 for about 15 miles, which again is easily travelled, even at night. Just obey the speed limit and you should be fine.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,975 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the drive from PHX to Sedona

If you've never driven the road I advise against driving it in the dark. 1) it's quite scenic and a shame to miss. 2) it's dark. Darker than the night is when you're at home in CT. You won't understand it until you experience it. 3) it's desolate. While you won't be the only driver on the road, you will be in a region where if you break down you will be hard pressed to get any help or be close to any assistance or services. 4) if you arrive in Sedona in the dark, you will find it rather intimidating to find your destination. Again, the darkness and absence of lighting on the roads is beyond what you are used to.

The sun will be setting as you depart PHX, assuming that you get out on time along with the rush hour traffic. You would be wise to spend the night somewhere on the north side of PHX, no farther than Anthem. Then drive the last hour in the morning light when you are fresh and ready for the day.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,383 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the drive from PHX to Sedona

I agree entirely with RR. It's much nicer to make that drive in the daytime. There are plenty of hotels just north of Phoenix to spend the night.

new haven
Level Contributor
3 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the drive from PHX to Sedona

Thank you all--I have reservations in Sedona for that evening so I do appreciate the advise and encouragement. I will be able to see the beautiful ride on the way back to Phoenix . I wish I had posted this sooner as I do not think I can change reservations at this time. I have driven alot in Montana where much of my family lives so hopefully that will prepare me for the dark road.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the drive from PHX to Sedona

We've done the drive after dark. It's a curvy mountain road, so you do need to be careful. It would be best not to attempt it if it's snowing or icy.There are not many exits with services other than Anthem and Camp Verde.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,914 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: the drive from PHX to Sedona

"Curvy mountain road" is the wrong description for someone from Connecticut where they may have experienced the same that are "real" curvy mountain roads. I-17 is a broad interstate highway which has curves, no switchbacks, and long ascents and descents of significant altitude change. In most areas it maintains a 75 mph speed limit. It is very safe. Areas that get significant snow and ice are generally north of the Sedona exit, but not entirely rare closer to Phoenix. I have driven it after dark many times, but that's different as I live here. You're safe as long as the road is clear and you pay attention.

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
447 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: the drive from PHX to Sedona

It can get a little icey heading north up I-17 when you get close to Prescott exit, otherwise it's an easy drive.

8. Re: the drive from PHX to Sedona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 24, 2013