We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Sedona from Las Vegas on Christmas

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Sedona from Las Vegas on Christmas

Very excited to be spending the week between Christmas and New Years in Sedona, at Oak Creek Terrace resort. I've been researching hikes, restaurants etc and watching the weather w interest. Seems like there's potential for several storm systems in a row; in fact I think it's snowing in the area this very evening. Hence, my questions:

when it does snow, how quickly does I-40 get cleared.

what about clearing the road down into Oak Cr Canyon?

I want to drive down into and thru the canyon to Oak Creek Terrace before dark. How long will that take (say from I-40)?

At about what time is it dark there this time of year?

If we keep to the speed limits, can we make it from Hoover Dam (family required stop) to Sedona in 5 hrs?

Any other thoughts?

Many thanks!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,428 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Sedona from Las Vegas on Christmas

Hoover Dam to Sedona is doable in 5 hours. Darkness will be around 6PM, and even earlier in the canyon as the walls block the setting sun. And remember that you'll lose an hour between NV and AZ. I-40 to Oak Creek Terrace is about 25 miles and will take about 45 minutes under normal conditions.

In the event of a snow storm the roads are usually clear within 24 hours after the storm passes. Use AZ511.com for up to date information about road conditions.

Drive safely. I left Sedona last Saturday in a storm. It was sleet and snow for the first 50 miles going south on I-17. Normally I drive that road at 75-80 mph. On Saturday I was doing 55-60. Had I been going north toward Flagstaff I expect I would have had to go even slower, if I could have gone at all.

Edited: 1:34 am, December 19, 2012
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Sedona from Las Vegas on Christmas

If you want to go to Hoover Dam leave us93 at the Nevada side. There's no exit at the Az side. You also can walk the new Colorado River bridge from the parkinglot. Also try to make a brief stop at Seligman for R66.

Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Sedona from Las Vegas on Christmas

Many thanks to both of you for your thoughtful replies! RedRox, I'm especially appreciative of your many very helpful responses in this forum. Your "local knowledge" is incredibly helpful. After considering your thoughts on the "do-ability" of arriving at the canyon before dark alongside my family's desire to visit Hoover Dam and not being rushed (after all, we ARE on vacation!), we've decided to relax, spend as much time as we like at the dam, then take Tet14's advice and stop at Seligman for Route 66 kitsch, a meal and a bed before making our way to Oak Creek Canyon in the morning. I think we'll appreciate the drama of the canyon better if we arrive in broad daylight, not tired and hungry, yada yada. Again, thanks for the advice. Happy trails.

4. Re: Driving to Sedona from Las Vegas on Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 22, 2013