We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Sedona (Dec 24-27) - Recommendation?

San Diego...
4 posts
Save Topic
First visit to Sedona (Dec 24-27) - Recommendation?

My wife and I will be travelling to Sedona for the first time. As we are clueless to what can we do there, would love some recommendations of things we should not miss. Interest in visiting parks, sites but not too much hiking. Would a day visit to GC south rim be recommended?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,341 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Sedona (Dec 24-27) - Recommendation?

Three nights is minimal for Sedona. I never discourage visiting the GCNP, but if you go, choose a day without any snow fall activity near Flagstaff or the park.

In Sedona I advise three days to explore three different directions. 1) south on Hwy 179 for the Chapel, Bell Rock, Cathedral Rock and surrounds 2) north on 89A into Oak Creek Canyon 3) south on 89A to West Sedona, Red Rock Crossing and Dry Creek Road.

Take a jeep tour as soon as you arrive in Sedona to get oriented to the spirit of the area. Pink Jeep Broken Arrow is the best tour by far.

San Diego...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Sedona (Dec 24-27) - Recommendation?

Thanks RedRox! GCNP is just an option I want to keep in case needed. Otherwise, our plan is to stay in Sedona for the 3 nights. We would definitely do the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour as recommended by you. Can the other things mentioned by you explored via drive or is it a mix of drive and hike?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,341 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Sedona (Dec 24-27) - Recommendation?

Mostly driving and short walks to tour Sedona. Prebook your PJBA tour. It does sell out and latecomers get pushed into alternate, inferior, tours.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,046 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Sedona (Dec 24-27) - Recommendation?

I would also suggest a visit to Talaquepaque. This is a charming Spanish type shopping village in Sedona that is beautifully decorated, nice stores and some restaurants.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,278 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to Sedona (Dec 24-27) - Recommendation?

Hi, Cool Guy,

Welcome to TripAdvisor. Speaking of restaurants, I love Elote Cafe (get there early) and Dan's Bistro. But others will probably come through with their faves.

We were just in San Diego BTW.

San Diego...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit to Sedona (Dec 24-27) - Recommendation?

Thanks Thelrose and kate410!

San Diego...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit to Sedona (Dec 24-27) - Recommendation?

Would it be advisable to add Zion and Bryce Canyon to the trip at this time of the year? I was thinking of adding 3 days to the trip and cover those as well.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,341 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First visit to Sedona (Dec 24-27) - Recommendation?

You really need to add 4 days or more if you want to include Bryce and Zion. It will take most of one day just to get to either park. You need 1 night a Bryce and 2 at Zion, minimum. Then you'll need another day to get back home.

Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First visit to Sedona (Dec 24-27) - Recommendation?

Be very leary of restaurant choices in Sedona we were there last summer and got very evasive replies from ALL the locals.there seems to be an overabundance of Thai restaurants though. DO NOT eat at the barking frog, overpriced no taste and very minimal service the Starbucks in Sedona closes at around 5pm so if ur a junkie like me keep in-mind. I agree with previous person about bryce/Zion, if doing grand canyon you really need more than one day on south rim. mule rides need to be booked six months out for south rim. North rim rides can be had on the fly but is a 5 hour min. drive from Williams (south rim entrance)

Edited: 8:27 am, December 13, 2012
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First visit to Sedona (Dec 24-27) - Recommendation?

Be very leary of restaurant choices in Sedona we were there last summer and got very evasive replies from ALL the locals.there seems to be an overabundance of Thai restaurants though. DO NOT eat at the barking frog, overpriced no taste and very minimal service the Starbucks in Sedona closes at around 5pm so if ur a junkie like me keep in-mind. I agree with previous person about bryce/Zion, if doing grand canyon you really need more than one day on south rim. mule rides need to be booked six months out for south rim. North rim rides can be had on the fly but is a 5 hour min. drive from Williams (south rim entrance)

Edited: 8:29 am, December 13, 2012