We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re: Grand Canyon tour

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sedona
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Re: Grand Canyon tour

As we don't seem to be able to find extra people for the sacred earth tour @ $595.00 & that is way too expensive for the 2 of us, I'm hoping someone has some suggestions for us to do a day trip by ourselves. We have a car. I'm not a big hiker but my partner is, so we'd be happy to do a few hours walking. I hear the south rim is the most beautiful.. Is it sign posted? Is there a short park ranger tour from the actual canyon? We would appreciate any suggestions or tips..

Thank you

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,431 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Re: Grand Canyon tour

You need to get more familiar with the park. Go to the park website

nps.gov/grca

The park is very self-touring. The National Park only has a South Rim and North Rim. Both are beautiful, but the North Rim is a long way from Sedona, and closed until mid-May. The South Rim is open all year 24/7/265 and an easy 2 hour drive from Sedona. The so-called "west rim" is far away, close to Las Vegas, not part of the park, and is a tourist trap for Las Vegas.

Hiking is not necessary. There are lots of opportunities for walking.

Read the other post. You can do a day trip from Sedona to GCNP South Rim, but you will only see highlights.

For a one day trip, leave Sedona early. Take Hwy 89A to I-17, or Hwy 179 to I-17, and then north on I-17 to I-40, west on I-40 to Hwy 64, then north on Hwy 64 to the park.

This will be the south entrance. When you arrive, don't stop at the first overlook, Mather Point, as it will be crowded and you have to park a fair distance away from the rim. Go left to the rim lodge area in the central GC Village area. Find a place to park. Parking will be "tight." Look in the parking lot across from El Tovar as it tends to have people arriving and leaving frequently. You might have to wait 15-20 minutes, but I always do find a parking place here. If you don't find a place, go back to the Market Place, park, and take the shuttle back to the rim lodge area. See El Tovar, Bright Angel, shops in that area, rim overviews, and Kolb and Lookout Studios.

For lunch, take a lunch with you or buy lunch for a picnic at the Market Place grocery store. If it's cool, picnic in your car.

Go back toward the entrance, but take the road to Desert View. Stop at a few overlooks, particularly Moran. Grandview and Lipan Points, and the Desert View overlook and Watchtower.

Exit the park by the east entrance. There are some viewpoints of the Little Colorado River after you exit, but you have to navigate the vendors selling stuff to get to the views. If you want to buy something, know what you're buying or don't buy anything.

Hwy 64 will meet Hwy 89. A short distance north is the Cameron Trading Post. It's worth a visit. Prices are fair. The Indian art and jewelry on sale are authentic. There is a separate building with higher quality consignment goods.

Take Hwy 89 south to Flagstaff, about an hour, then back to Sedona. Do all this driving in daylight.

If you were able to stay overnight at GCNP, the plan would be the same, but you could see more, add the west road to Hermits Rest, and possibly see Wupatki and/or Sunset Crater National Monuments.

Edited: 2:04 am, November 06, 2012
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,431 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Re: Grand Canyon tour

That's supposed to be 24/7/365 that the South Rim is open. Typo.

I didn't answer your question about signs. The park is fairly well-marked, but look at the maps you will be given on entry, and the ones on the website ahead of time, and familiarize yourself with where you want to go.

The itinerary I proposed is a full day, leaving Sedona at 7 or 8 AM and getting back for supper around 5 PM.

3. Re: Re: Grand Canyon tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 30, 2013