We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guided Hike for Adrenaline Junkie?

Georgia
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Guided Hike for Adrenaline Junkie?

My husband and I will be in Sedona next month. I have been researching on this site and the web in general so we will be sure to get the most of our week. My sleep has been suffering and my 'mouse hand' is getting stiff because the more I read, the more excited I become!

I'm hoping a resident or seasoned Sedona visitor can point us in the direction for an intense, challenging hike for my husband. He gladly goes on easy hikes with me, but I know he would just absolutely go nuts if I hook him up with an adventuresome day hike with a like-minded guide. He is able to do hardcore physical activity while I'm not.

I figure while he's scrambling, crawling and sliding his way to bliss that would be a good day for me to chill on my own with a massage or new age vortex quest.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guided Hike for Adrenaline Junkie?

If you book a hike please make sure the guide is legally permitted to guide hikes. All of the guided hikes are with groups of varying ability so it is not likely he will be satisfied there. And please don't scramble off trail. Although many of us crave the adrenalin rush there are severe consequences to the environment.

A few trails I would recommend for which you don't need a guide. For that matter you don't need a guide for any trail here.

-Bear Mt.

-Wilson Mt.

-West Fork (Although this trail is relatively flat one can hike quit a long distance into the wilderness without getting lost. The trails goes in and out of the creek many times and if you get out far enough you will have to swim through some narrow passages. The entire trail up to the top of the Rim is 13 miles therefore 26 miles round trip. Most people just go our as far as they want then turn around and come back.)

- Munds Wagon out to Cow Pies and back up to Merry-go-Round and even further up Schnebly Trail across the road.

You just need a good map like Beartooth Publishing. Hope this helps.

Georgia
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guided Hike for Adrenaline Junkie?

Thank you for all the great information! We are great believers in 'take nothing/leave only footprints' so going off trail is never an option for us - hubby just likes challenging hikes.

However, I'm glad you mentioned that because it's good to reiterate the importance of land respect. That's one of the many things that is drawing us to your beautiful desert; people who live and visit there seem to have a fierce love for Sedona. :)

One other thing ... would it be safe for him to do the more strenuous trails solo?

Georgia
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guided Hike for Adrenaline Junkie?

ps: I took your advise and ordered a Beartooth map!

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,859 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guided Hike for Adrenaline Junkie?

Your husband sounds like mine. :) Last year we hiked Bear Mountain as a family and this year he ran up Bear Mountain before my daughter and I were even out of bed. :P I don't know about the other trails, but he was fine solo on the Bear Mountain trail.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guided Hike for Adrenaline Junkie?

I agree with Pudgy, Bear Mt. has everything but flat terrain so he can get a great and challenging workout in a short amount of time. It's obviously beautiful as well lots of unique geology and vegetation after the first ledge and the trail can be a little hard to follow as most hikers turn back at the saddle before the climb to the top on white sandstone.

One thing though, because the trail follows a ridge line the wind or bad weather can be an issue. Do not do this trail if there is lightening as one can see where the lightening strikes have occurred at the top.

Here's an interesting description of the trail.

http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=310

Georgia
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guided Hike for Adrenaline Junkie?

Thank you MTB and Pudgy for all the tips! Bear and Wilson sound ideal for him.

Only three more weeks ...... !

Everywhere
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guided Hike for Adrenaline Junkie?

Bear Mountain is most certainly an incredible hike. Actually it's one of my favorites! Five false summit's before you finally make your way to the final summit. If your husband goes up Bear Mountain, make sure you tell him to go to the right a little when he makes his way to the top. From there, there is an epic view of the San Francisco Peaks to the north.

If your husband is interested in seeing some photo's from Bear Mountain, here are some links to some of our archive photos:

https:/…

Another incredible and difficult hike is the AB Young Trail in Oak Creek Canyon. The trail takes you up a long series of switchbacks before reaching the Colorado Plateau where the views are just amazing.

If you are coming in about three weeks, I would recommend making sure you bring a good assortment of layers to include wind-block fabrics as well as a mid-layer fleece, and of course comfortable well worn in footwear.

Virtually any trail can be hiked by an experienced hiker with quite ease. One word of caution, I do not recommend that your husband attempt Thunder Mountain without an experienced guide. All others trails are very much doable on your own.

If you are looking for a hiking tour specifically, we can recommend the following guides:

1. Benny with Touch The Earth Adventures at 928-203-9132, www.earthtours.com

2. Rahelio with The Galetic Center at 928-282-6735, www.rahelio.com

3. Clint with Sedona Sacred Tours at 928-254-9507, www.sedonasacredearth.com

I hope you and your husband have a fantastic trip here in Sedona.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guided Hike for Adrenaline Junkie?

Please don't use any of the guides listed above. They are not legally permitted by the Forest Service.

Georgia
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guided Hike for Adrenaline Junkie?

Thank you for all the replies. We'll be in Sedona in 3 days!!!

10. Re: Guided Hike for Adrenaline Junkie?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 13, 2013