We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip - Sedona to Page

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day Trip - Sedona to Page

We will be in Sedona for a week in late October, early November. I have read in this forum that if you plan a side trip to Page, you really need to stay one night and two is better. However, that is not an option for us. We can only do a day trip there. Given that restriction, we plan to go for the day and do a tour of the lower Antelope Canyon. I think we should have time to do some other tour while there. What would be your recommedation of something else we could do in the very limited amount of time we will be there. We don't mind having it be a long day--up early, return late.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,747 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip - Sedona to Page

3 hours up and 3 hours back for a 2 hour tour? Makes little sense to me.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip - Sedona to Page

Hello, RedRox. I've been reading the posts on the Sedona forum for quite a while now in anticipation of our trip and really appreciate the knowledge you have about Sedona and surrounding areas. I've bookmarked many of your posts for reference when we are there in a few weeks.

I agree 3 hours up and 3 hours back for a 2 hour tour doesn't make sense, except that I do consider the drive a part of the adventure! Also, I haven't been there yet but I imagine there is probably a lot to see between Sedona and Page. Anyway, that's why I asked about other things to do while we were there. Eight hours is not a full day. I'm thinking we have at least another 4-5 hours to play with. Any suggestions?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
59,747 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip - Sedona to Page

Eight hours will be close to a full day. Add the hike to Horseshoe Bend Overlook and some views of the dam and Lake Powell. You'll blow an hour on the front and back end of Antelope Canyon tour. No way to avoid it.

The drive up and back is gorgeous. Do it in daylight in both directions.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip - Sedona to Page

It is getting dark earlier around here-like 6 p.m., and it is not advisable to be on the road from Flagstaff back here after dark. The elk sometimes get in the road! So do try to get back before dark.

Good luck on your adventure!

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip - Sedona to Page

Thanks, RedRox and Kate. Yeah, I hadn't really thought about how the short days are going to affect us. That will certainly limit how long we can stay if we want to get back before dark. We would have to leave Page no later than 3:00, which is much earlier than I had planned on.

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip - Sedona to Page

We did a trip this summer and drove from Page to Sedona. The ride is gorgeous but it is a long drive. I can't imagine having to do that there and back in the same day. We did the Upper Antelope Canyon and it was beautiful. We did the early morning trip to avoid the crowds. Honestly, though, I wouldn't drive to Page from Sedona just for that. The view of Horseshoe Bend was spectacular but again a long drive just for that. There is so much to see and do in Sedona. That is a place worth spending plenty of time at. Are you planning on going up to the Grand Canyon? That's a day right there.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip - Sedona to Page

We are staying at the Sedona Summit for 7 days on a timeshare exchange. On Thursday of the week we are there, we will drive to the Grand Canyon and stay the night at Thunderbird Lodge on the rim of the Grand Canyon, returning to Sedona Summit on Friday. We didn't really want to pay for another night in a hotel, so thought maybe we could do the Page trip as a day trip. But, maybe we need to give up on that idea and just find more things to do in Sedona. As you indicate, there is a lot do do there so I'm sure we won't have any trouble filling up the remaining days.

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip - Sedona to Page

You could leave really early Friday morning from the Grand Canyon and head to Page. It took us longer than anticipated to get to Page. We stopped at the Cameron Trading Post for a Navajo Taco, stopped at the road side stands for Native American jewelry which is the same in Sedona, stopped to take pictures of the breathtaking rocks. The rocks are beautiful but it is the same scenery the whole way until you get to this once section of highway that passes through the most incredible red rocks I have ever seen. I was in awe. I don't want to discourage you from going, it will just be a long road trip. If you think you won't be back to the area, then you should go. Have a great time.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
59,747 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip - Sedona to Page

It would be more sensible to go to Page on the day you depart GCNP. It will take 3 hours to get there from GCV but that will include viewing time on the way to and at Desert View before exiting the park. A stop for a late breakfast at Cameron Trading Post would make sense. You'll be at Page 90 minutes after breakfast and have time for Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon before the 3 hour drive back to Sedona.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip - Sedona to Page

Thanks, all. I had considered going to Page on our return from GCNP, but thought we might want to spend more time at the Grand Canyon. However, it does make sense to do it that way. We will, after all, have most of the day to explore the Grand Canyon and will have the opportunity to see both a sunset and a sunrise.