We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip help. GC or antelope?

Columbus
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip help. GC or antelope?

We're headed to Sedona the first week of Oct. We've rented a house there and are using it as a jumping off point. My DH and another couple are going with us.

So here's the burning question. Three of us have not ever seen the GC. So we thought we would head there for the day. I, on the other hand, am in awe of the antelope canyons. I'm starting to think our time might be better well spent headed to Page and planning ANOTHER trip next year into Vegas and head over to the GC from there?

Problem is, not positive we when we will be back. That being said, selfishly I really really want to do the antelope tours but am also thinking the GC would be phenomenal.

Any input/personal opinions would be greatly greatly appreciated!!!

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
806 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip help. GC or antelope?

Ideally, really, you'd spend a night in Page. You can find reasonable accommodation there, but book ahead of time. You could drive to the south entrance of the GCNP, use most of the day to see that, and then leave by the east gate timed to get to Page by late afternoon. The following day you could see Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon(s) and then return to Sedona that day. This would leave you with time to see Wupatki NM (off 89 just north of Flaghstaff), Sunset Crater and maybe even Walnut Canyon (just east of Flagstaff off I-40).

If you have to choose between one or the other, I'd go for the GC - closer and so many more viewpooijnts and stuff to see. Just driving up to Page for Antelope and back the same day seems, well, a shame.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,840 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip help. GC or antelope?

I agree, the GC is not to be missed. Antelope Canyon is definitely wonderful, but doesn't compare to the GC. Here is another way to do it, and it only requires you to spend one night out of Sedona:

Drive, early, to Page. See Antelope Canyon around noon. Visit Horseshoe Bend, then drive to the Cameron Trading Post for dinner and lodging. The following morning, take the east entrance to the GCNP, stopping first at Desert View, then at other viewpoints on the way to the Village. Stroll along the rim path east and west from the rim lodges, have lunch, then take the free shuttle to the viewpoints along Hermit's Rest Road. Exite the GC through the south entrance, down to I-40, I-17, and oak Creek Canyon back to Sedona. Plan your time to get back to Sedona just before sunset.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,633 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip help. GC or antelope?

Definitely choose the Grand Canyon. It's the wonder o the world.

Antelope canyon is cool, but can't compare in scale.

Columbus
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip help. GC or antelope?

Thanks so much for the responses! While taking a night in Page sounds great, we rented a house in Sedona and have already paid for it so it's not an option. I think I will heed your advice and head to the GC. I suppose my only thought of Antelope was that we could possibly get back to the GC but am not sure if/when we would get back to Page?

Argh- wish we could do both but it doesn't seem possible. Either way, it's a win-win though. Sedona and GC don't seem to shabby ;)

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip help. GC or antelope?

Even if you are renting a house...you can still get a hotel for one night in Page. You can get the Holiday Inn Express for around $100.00 (not sure of the rates when you'll be there though).

That way you can see both. You are driving all the way there anyway...spend the extra $$ if you can, spend the night and see both wonders!!

Consider it excursion money. It only costs $25.00 for the whole car load to get into GCNP, so pretend it costs $125.00 and go for the hotel...lol.

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip help. GC or antelope?

There are even cheaper hotels in Page if you don't mind very basic accommodations. I personally would spend a night - the cost is not that much more and very much worth it. And there's no reason why if you could return for a trip to the Grand Canyon that you couldn't return for a trip to Page or include it in a future itinerary. Most people who visit that area of the country combine multiple locations in their visit.

But if you only can take a day trip, I would choose the Grand Canyon. It's closer and offers more to do for a day. Otherwise you are driving about six hours in a day to spend an hour or two in slot canyon.

Edited: 12:59 pm, September 11, 2012
7. Re: Trip help. GC or antelope?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 13, 2013