We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona Trip Report, Part 1

New Hyde Park, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Sedona Trip Report, Part 1

Just got back from a great 8-day trip through Arizona – 4 days in Sedona, then on to the Grand Canyon and lake Powell before wrapping up in Las Vegas. Will post my trip report in pieces as I tend to ramble on some times, forgive me for that, I actually find it easier to write more rather than condense it down to less, hopefully will be helpful and not too tiresome. I appreciate all of the help I got from Trip Advisors in general and from the forums specifically in planning this trip and want to try to give back a little by posting our impressions. Overall, as Red Rocks always tells us…trip was great, but I could easily have spent the entire time in Sedona. Traveling party was my wife and I, our daughter (16), and our two sons (15 and 11).

Saturday – flew from Long Island to Phoenix, rented a car and after a quick bite to eat (fast food), drove to Sedona. Quite of a grind traveling all the way from Long Island to Sedona, but I guess I should have anticipated that. Got some groceries from Safeway, then continued to the Enchantment and checked in. Got a nice tour of the property from the resort staff and then checked into our room, which was spacious and clean and with great views from the balcony. Very pleased with the accommodations and ultimately with pretty much everything about Enchantment – expensive place, but they definitely delivered. By now it was time for dinner so we headed over to Tii Gavo (sp?) for dinner. Dinner was decent but not great – I thought the three sauces that accompanied the chips in that appetizer were ordinary, but the smoked chicken flatbread was excellent and my daughter enjoyed her corn off the cob appetizer. I got a grilled skirt steak for dinner, again decent but not memorable, my wife felt the same about her entrée. After dinner came an early bedtime – tired from a full day of travel and had to be up early for…

Sunday – a hot air balloon ride! Up a little after 4AM, picked up right on time at 5AM by Red Rocks Balloon Company. Enjoyed the entire experience, from seeing the balloons get prepped to the ride itself to the subsequent champagne breakfast. We rode in the largest of their three balloons with Mark, the Company owner – very personable and informative guy, and the balloon ride experience was very enjoyable. A lot of the back-and-forth between Mark and his ground crew on the radio, while heavy on the shtick meter, was still pretty funny and entertaining, as was the breakfast afterwards. Probably wouldn’t do it again given the cost, but was worth doing once.

Afterwards, we planned on going down to check out some of locations along route 179, but we were a little beat and elected instead to hike the Boynton Canyon Trail right off of Enchantment’s property. Did the Vista Trail first, which we enjoyed immensely – in general, my family and especially the two boys enjoyed trails which had more climbing involved. After that, we returned to Enchantment, had some lunch by the pool, and then my wife and daughter went for a spa treatment, which they raved about, while the boys and I took some mountain bikes out along the Deadman’s Pass trail, which was a rip. Dinner that evening was at The Cowboy Grill – a good dinner. My youngest son enjoyed trying the snake meatballs, both boys enjoyed their entrees (buffalo pot roast for one and a lobster pasta special for the other), my wife said the halibut was excellent, and I had the filet mignon, which was pretty good. My daughter is a terrible eater and got just a Caesar salad.

Once again, not much to do after dinner, which I found to be the case overall in Sedona, but by nightfall we were all wiped out and ready to crash anyway, so the lack of a lively night scene was never an issue.

Days 3 and 4 to follow.

Edited: 5:34 pm, August 20, 2012
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,310 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona Trip Report, Part 1

Thanks for the kudos and the post. A couple of comments:

When one travels from the eastern time zone to Sedona it makes the day 3 hours longer (2 in the winter). There is no way around it. It's a long day and you should expect to be tired when you arrive. The good news is that you'll be awake very early the next morning, so an early morning balloon flight or jeep tour will work, but you'll still be tired on day 2.

I love Tii Gavo for the view from the patio. The food is decent, but for the price you pay, it isn't justified without the view.

Your dinner the next night was at the Cowboy Club, not Grill. I only note the correction because there are a lot of restaurants in Sedona that include the word Grill(e) in the name. The Cowboy Club is the definitive place to dine for the charm and history of Sedona. Don't expect gourmet fare. If your tastes are more upscale, and your party is child free, choose the Silver Saddle Room there.

Looking forward to the next installment. And when you're finished, please link your TRs to Texhills' trip report thread at the top of the AZ page.

New Hyde Park, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona Trip Report, Part 1

I got it all wrong - we did eat at the Silver Saddle portion of The Cowboy Club. My kids are old enough that I guess we qualify as child-free, certainly we felt plenty comfortable there. I thoght the meal was good, my wife and two sons both loved their meals. I was a little disappointed because I thought the filet mignon was going to be better given that steak appears to be a specialty of theirs. But it was still very good, and the service was excellent.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,310 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona Trip Report, Part 1

Thanks for that correction. We like Silver Saddle very much.

4. Re: Sedona Trip Report, Part 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, August 22, 2013