We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Mesa Vortex

Central Coast of CA
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Mesa Vortex

Hello,

My husband and I are flying our private plane to Sedona this weekend. What's this I hear about an Airport Mesa Vortex? Is there anyone who can tell me more? Especially if there are any effects that might make flying/landing in Sedona more challenging. Thanks in advance. Can't wait to see beautiful Sedona!

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Mesa Vortex

The Sedona vortexes are spiritual, not atmospheric. They won't influence your plane. The vortex is located just off the road on the way down from the top of the mesa--on the right. You can spot the area because of all the cars parked in the area. You'll see people out sitting on the rocks.

Sedona, AZ
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Mesa Vortex

OK, I have to tell you the history of the airport vortex. The original vortex map placed the airport vortex at the end of the runway. The airport manage at the time, a personal friend of mine, had problems with seekers walking on the tarmac endangering themselves and the pilots flying in and out of the airport. At the time, 1987, the airport board could not afford a fence so they got together with the district ranger for the forest service. Their solution was to move the votex. Yes, that's what I said, move the vortex! The new location was the saddle half way up airport road, the current location. How did they do this? They built a parking lot and changed the vortex map. There is a lot of verification of this story.

I don't think you need to worry about any influence of the "vortex" on your craft. I suggest stopping by the Airport managers office, Mac, and say hello.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Mesa Vortex

Great story SedonaMTB! There's a few people I want to pass that along to :-)

I can stand on any rock in Sedona and feel spiritual, because all of Sedona is so awesome!

Mooneygirl, the effects of possible wind and a fairly short runway on top of a mesa are the things you need to pay attention to. You'll love Sedona. And I really like the Central Coast of CA.

Sedona, AZ
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Mesa Vortex

Yes, everywhere is magical in Sedona. Incredible. I've lived here 9 years and it still amazes me. I just wanted to add another thing. The Native Americans do not believe in the Vortex Phenom. The whole area was sacred to them.

The concept of an energy vortex in Sedona was invented by a woman name Page Bryant who said she channeled an exogeneous being, the name I can't recall. Prior to this there were no vortexes here in Sedona. She designed the vortes map with her hair dresser while she was getting her hair done. Presto, a movement had begun.

After saying this though, Sedona does have a deeply transformational affect on many people who visit here, for whatever reason. I do not want to discount anyones personal experience. I just think it's important to know the history. I would like to know why this is the case, it may be vortexes but it could be something else.

In any case, enjoy the mystery of Sedona!

Get answers to your questions about Sedona