We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hotels and B&B in Oak creek AZ

Missouri City, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Best Hotels and B&B in Oak creek AZ

Will be staying in Sedona the last week of August. I heard that the Oak Creek Area is preferred because of views and price points. Please offer suggestions.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,366 posts
250 reviews
1. Re: Best Hotels and B&B in Oak creek AZ

Village of Oakcreek has a full range of lodging options. Whoever told you it was preferable simply failed to see that similar places can be found elsewhere around Sedona. And views are everywhere.

Rather than rely on what you heard, tell us more about your specific wants and needs, including budget. Better yet, peruse the hotel and lodging links from this page, and tell us what appeals to you, or not, and why.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Best Hotels and B&B in Oak creek AZ

Despite what some may tell you, Oak Creek Canyon is very different from Sedona despite the fact they are next to each other. Oak Creek is nestled in the shade and has a large creek running through. It is much cooler than Sedona and has much to offer. Sedona is out in the flat lands and is basically in full sun. If what you want is shade, cool and water than keep looking for a place to stay in Oak Creek. It is worth the effort

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,442 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Best Hotels and B&B in Oak creek AZ

Bam000,

It is unclear whether you are referring to Oak Creek Canyon or the Village of Oak Creek. They are completely different.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: Best Hotels and B&B in Oak creek AZ

Agree with Mike. You need to give us a clearer idea of what you are looking for in your vacation. If you want to sit under a tree and fish in the shade, you want Oak Creek. If you want to hike around in the sun all day, then you want Sedona.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
7,062 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Best Hotels and B&B in Oak creek AZ

To the OP - just fyi, Donbasci basically hates Sedona itself. No idea why, but bear that in mind when you read his advice. And it's complete bunk that Sedona is in full sun and flatland with no shade. Anyone that says that is either completely and entirely biased, or has never been to Sedona. Sedona is, in fact, comprised of hills, small "mountains/peaks" (aka the famous red rocks), lots of trees, and Oak Creek itself runs through it as it flows down from the Canyon.

That said, I think we need to clarify something here - there's Sedona itself, which is a relatively small area, there's the Village of Oak Creek, which is just south of Sedona, and then there's Oak Creek Canyon, which is along Hwy 89A just north of Sedona, nestled in a beautiful canyon. All three areas have their different attributes. I've stayed in all 3 while on vacation, and I used to live West of Sedona. Here's my take on them:

The Village of Oak Creek (aka VOC) - Various lodging options here; not as many as Sedona, but you have everything from budget hotels to very nice B&Bs. Some people like it b/c of it's proximity to so many hiking trails; oftentimes right out from your hotel or inn. It is a bit further away from the heart of Sedona, though. There are great views of the red rocks from almost anywhere in VOC. Some people love staying there; I actually prefer either Sedona or Oak Creek Canyon.

Sedona - Has a large variety of hotels, B&Bs, restaurants, shopping, etc. Many hotels have great views of the red rocks and trees. I think it's even more beautiful than VOC. You can stay right near Uptown and be within walking distance of shops, etc., or you can stay somewhere a bit quieter and more peaceful; either way, you'll generally need a car to get around Sedona. I've stayed in all different areas of Sedona, and loved every place.

Oak Creek Canyon - Limited lodging and definitely limited dining options. The trade-off is gorgeous views of the trees and canyons - but not very much in the way of red rocks views like you'd have in Sedona, if that's what you're coming to see. Lodging is mostly cabin type rooms or "condo" rentals (as in Junipine Lodge), almost all of which are in close proximity to Oak Creek. It's definitely more secluded and quieter; do be aware that the further up you stay in the Canyon, the longer the drive will be to go into Sedona for shopping, restaurants, jeep tours, etc. The drive is generally anywhere from 15-30 minutes, depending on traffic. It's a gorgeous drive, just not a fast one. I love staying in Oak Creek Canyon, but I personally wouldn't recommend it for a first-timer to Sedona.

Now that we've cleared up the 3 main areas, do let us know your budget, which location appeals to you, and what your main interests are, and we can perhaps recommend something more specific.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
6. Re: Best Hotels and B&B in Oak creek AZ

As someone who has "never been to Sedona" I remember when cattle grazed on the open, flat, sunny, barren ground that is now VOC. Compared to Oak Creek Canyon, I don't think anyone can claim Sedona is shady. Those red rocks get the full blast of the desert sun and retain and radiate the heat all day and night. Sedona has it's place as does Oak Creek. They are very different.

You will find it diffucult to find a place actually in the canyon, but if that is the kind of experience you want, it is worth the effort. There are certainly many, many places in the flat-land Sedona area to rent, but you will not be able to step out your door and dip your toes in the creek. However, if you stay in the canyon, you might consider visiting Sedona for a dinner.

As for the "value" of my advice compared to people who have only live here perhaps 10-15 years and ONLY talk about Sedona because they moved there from other places, I very much know the difference between Sedona and Oak Creek as I have been visiting the area for nearly 60 years. Some people will only recommend Sedona and urge you to spend ALL your nights and money there. If that suits you...fine. But, if you are looking for something different than you should consider other options. It is not a "hate", or "bashing" of Sedona. There are just other options. In all fairness I think people should look at some of the former posts that recommend something that is completly the opposite of what an OP asked for. Until the OP tells us what they are looking for I think it is time for us to wait for more input.

7. Re: Best Hotels and B&B in Oak creek AZ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:21 pm, July 02, 2012
Edited: 4:21 pm, July 02, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
8. Re: Best Hotels and B&B in Oak creek AZ

And therefore, you like I remember what Sedona looked like before they built all those obscene mansions on top of the hills and those crackerboxes in the lowlands.

My point is, and always has been, that Sedona, just like Prescott, Wickenburg, Flagstaff, Payson, Jerome, Phoenix, Tucson and many , many other places in the state are not for everyone. There is a place for all here, and consideration should be give to all. That should include Oak Creek Canyon proper.

Edited: 4:27 pm, July 02, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
7,062 posts
11 reviews
9. Re: Best Hotels and B&B in Oak creek AZ

I'm an Arizona native who grew up playing in Oak Creek Canyon.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
10. Re: Best Hotels and B&B in Oak creek AZ

I appreciate that. That is where we spent at least a part of every summer vacation, and is my most loved place in all of Arizona. That is why I can't understand why people won't help someone who might want to stay there. I spent probably the best parts of my life (except perhaps YMCA summer camp outside of Prescott) camped in Banjo Bill camp ground. I can still visualize sitting by the creek under a huge tree dipping my toes in the cooling water waiting for mom to get lunch ready for us. If the OP has kids, this could be the memory of a lifetime!

Edited: 4:43 pm, July 02, 2012