We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sedona do or not to do horseback riding

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
131 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
sedona do or not to do horseback riding

Hi there: We are 4 (2/2) and we are going to stay 1 night in Sedona. As my kids 7 and 10. I was talking with my wife to do the Sedona horseback riding and cowboy dinner. Any input in this tour?. If it is not really good we would like to do something different and go for dinner to a good restaurant.

Thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sedona do or not to do horseback riding

We were in Sedona when you posted. I found out that even in what is relatively off-season, an advance reservation is a good idea. I figured we could just call a day or two in advance, but they were booked. We did ride one morning -- at M Diamond Ranch in Rim Rock (a half hour from Sedona on the other side of I-17), which got the kids' horse needs filled and was pleasant enough.

We've done a couple of these dinner rides before. I would imagine that the cowboy dinner consists of relatively tough meat simply grilled and the usual western sides. This kind of evening is usually fun enough -- especially for the kids -- but usually not much of a culinary experience.

In case anyone is curious, the outfit he's talking about is "Trail Horse Adventures" (www.trailhorseadventures.com). Their web stie described 1 hr., 2 hr. rides, breakfast, lunch and dinner rides. Sounded pretty good. . . but I didn't see it? Has anyone ridden with them?

Level Contributor
131 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sedona do or not to do horseback riding

Thank you elgoodbill for the information

4me
PA
Level Contributor
99 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sedona do or not to do horseback riding

I was thinking about this also. My kids are the same age.

Still are up in the air .

cleveland
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: sedona do or not to do horseback riding

we just did a trip with trail horse adventures although did not do the dinner. we did the two hour ride which was great, but because you virtually climb up and down the red rocks on horseback and go pretty near the edge of cliffs I dont know that I'd be comfortable on it if I hadnt been on a horse a few times. they have a one hour tour thats supposed to be quite nice too but not as rocky.

Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sedona do or not to do horseback riding

I also went on the two hour Trail Horse adventures - it's a great ride! The scenery is incredible, but you will ride up and down rocky hillside! The best part was crossing the creek. Children under 15 must wear helmets.

If your 7 year old has never been on a horse before, the two hour ride may not be the best choice just because of the terrain and the occasional gallup.