We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An evening in Jerome??

Maryland
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
An evening in Jerome??

We will be in Sedona in late January, and the Verde Valley RR only runs in the afternoon 1-5pm. Is there any point in going to Jerome after the train ride? We'd like to browse the craft shops and get dinner, but I'm concerned that they may roll up the sidewalks early this time of year. We were thinking of hitting Tuzigoot on the way to the train (it closes at 5:00pm), but could conceivably pass that up in favor of Jerome, since we expect to visit other ruins (Montezuma's Castle and Wupatki). Or should we just do Jerome on a separate day?

<<sigh!>> so many choices to make!!

TIA!

- SilverGirl

Level Contributor
306 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An evening in Jerome??

Dear SilverGirl: My husband and I were in Sedona in October and on the way to Phoenix from there, we stopped in Jerome. Personally, neither one of us could understand the hype about this town (we went by the Frommer's guide which usually never lets us down). We went in the morning thinking we could have lunch there and ended up leaving before lunch and eating on the road. While it is nice to see, it certainly doesn't take more than 2 hrs. (at best) to walk around so don't plan a whole day there. You will see some of the most beautiful sights in Sedona/Oak Creek and should spend more of your time there. We also did the Verde Valley RR which was a very relaxing ride (albeit a little long)and scenic, however, nothing compares to Sedona. We didn't have time to do the ruins so unfortunately, I can't comment on those. Have a great trip!

Sedona, AZ
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An evening in Jerome??

Jerome has a very colorful, interesting history. It was a booming copper mining town in its hayday. First, it helps to be interested in the subject matter. You could spend quite a few hours there wandering the little unique and artsy shops. Be sure to check out the museum...it will make you appreciate the town that much more. You can have a great lunch at the Haunted Hamburger or Jerome Grill. It is much less hurried than the shopping in Sedona.

Do your Tuzigoot ruins in the morning before the train ride. Be sure to see Montezuman's Well (one of my favorites) along with the Castle. Other ruins in the Sedona area are Palatki, Honanki and VBar V.

Wupatki is outside of Flagstaff and can be combined with Sunset Crater...perhaps even Walnut Canyon. Everything depends on how much time you are spending in the area. Be sure to include a bit of relaxation in the red rock of Sedona by hiking or jeep tours.

Sedona, AZ
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: An evening in Jerome??

Jerome has some arts and crafts shops but there is nothing much after 5PM in Janaury. If you want to visit Jerome, do it on the way to VV RR.

If you like arts, do Jerome, if you like touring ruins, do Tuzigoot.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An evening in Jerome??

I have to agree with Shamen on this. Most things do close up in Jerome around 5pmish. I'd get up a little early drive to Jerome then head to VVRR. They have unique art work and I find the history quite interesting. I usually go there twice a month in the Summer times just to see whats new. Since you are doing other ruins as mentioned I'd skip Tuzigoot. Its interesting but quite small. I'd spend the time on Montezuma's castle and Wupatki oustide of Flagstaff. I think you need one of those "magic 8 balls".

Good luck hope this helps.

Maryland
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: An evening in Jerome??

Thanks, Shaman and Dragonflylady! You gave me exactly the kind of info that I needed!

I'm so glad that I found this wonderful group of helpful people. :)

- SilverGirl