We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canyon Verde Railroad

North Carolina
Level Contributor
659 posts
25 reviews
Canyon Verde Railroad

What are some opinions about this 4 hour trip?

I will have 3 full days in Sedona.

It looks interesting, but I will have already been 2 days in the GC.

Thoughts? Been there? Will I be better off spending those 4 hours doing something else? Would I prefer the Broken Arrow jeep tour?

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
7,363 posts
105 reviews
1. Re: Canyon Verde Railroad

The experience of the Verde Canyon Railroad versus being at the Grand Canyon is not really the same in any way. One big difference is that, while at the Grand Canyon you're above the canyon, the Verde Canyon Railroad goes through the canyon. That part of the Verde River is incredibly scenic. Where the train ends up, Perkinsville, is one of my favorite spots in the state. If you like scenic trains, then you should definitely do this. Even if you like scenic drives, this would be a good choice.

That said, this will eat up most of a day and it is not in Sedona, but in Clarkdale, which is maybe a half hour, one-way, south of Sedona.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,442 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Canyon Verde Railroad

If you have the time for the Verde Canyon railroad trip, do it. But if I were to choose between the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour and the railroad, I would choose Pink Jeep.

You could do Pink Jeep in the morning, then drive over to Clarkdale. Have lunch at Su Casa Mexican Restaurant ( I believe they open at 11:00AM), which is really just around the corner from the railroad station.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
659 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Canyon Verde Railroad

Thanks for your speedy replies.

I want to also visit Tuzigoot National Monument. How much time should I plan for this? I thought maybe I could do the Tuzigoot tour prior to the RR tour.

Do you know driving disctance from Tuzigoot to the Verde Canyon RR?

I actually thought it would be neat to be down in the canyon as you mentioned.

I will be traveling alone, so I'm not so sure I want to be sitting so up close and personal in a jeep with folks I don't know. It's just kind of awkward when you're by yourself. I have nothing against being around people. I just feel out of place sometimes alone in small situations. I thought the train would make me feel a little less out of place.

I will be spending Tuesday night in Sedona and then I will have Wed, Thurs., and all day Fri. with a night flight out of PHX at 11:30 pm.

I thought maybe doing this trip on Thursday or Friday.

Another question....if I did the RR tour, would I have time to soak up some of Jerome before dark?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,442 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Canyon Verde Railroad

I'm not sure of the actual distance, But it wouldn't be more than maybe 10 minutes. You certainly would be able to do Tuzigoot in the morning, before the railroad trip. Tuzigoot would be a ways off 260, before you get to the railroad depot.

americansouthwest.net/arizona/tuzigoot/natio…

http://verdecanyonrr.com/directions.html

You really wouldn't have time after the RR for Jerome, since the train doesn't get back to the depot until 5:00PM.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
659 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Canyon Verde Railroad

thanks for your help

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,372 posts
250 reviews
6. Re: Canyon Verde Railroad

Tuzigoot, Jerome and VCRR are a full day and make sense to plan that way. The down side is that it is away from Sedona. With only 3 full days in Sedona, I'm not sure that I'd use my time that way.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,442 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: Canyon Verde Railroad

We did Jerome and VCRR in one day. It worked, but not very well. We went to Jerome first, but most stores didn't open until 10:00AM. So not much time for browsing there before we had to leave to go to Clarkdale for lunch and the railroad.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,660 posts
84 reviews
8. Re: Canyon Verde Railroad

I hope you've considered Montezuma's Castle NM, Wupatki NM and Sunset Crater on your way to and from Sedona. Not necessarily during your day to Clarkdale, but during your other travels. While touring West Sedona and Boynton Canyon, consider visiting the Palatki Ruins.

Enjoy!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
659 posts
25 reviews
9. Re: Canyon Verde Railroad

They are all on the list...

I'm having second thoughts about the RR trip....It seems it will consume so much of my time although I am sure I would enjoy it.

So, instead of buying a ticket now for the RR, I think I may just wait and see how my time works out and if I still want to go and if they have the space; I can do it then. However, I am considering the jeep tour. After all, Sedona is known for it's red rocks. I'm starting to think I would be kind of dumb not to take that tour.

One thing I have concluded...I've realized I'm doing it again....I'm in a sense overplanning and I'm not leaving time for enjoyment of the trip.

It's good to be informed, be prepared, and have a good idea of options, but not necesarily have everything planned to a T.

I keep forgetting that. :-))))

Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,462 posts
60 reviews
10. Re: Canyon Verde Railroad

Sounds like a good way to approach it, and it is good that you are checking things out rather than going by trial and error! I have been on both, and I prefer the Pink Jeep tour to the rr trip. It is such a good orientation to the area. There is a seat next to the driver, and you might like sitting there (if someone with a back or neck problem hasn't requested it). That way you might pick up some side talk with the driver. Jerome is on the other side of the valley, but I love it too. It has beautiful panoramic views, the old mining town turned hippie area turned trendy vibe, and you may see someone walking a donkey down the street or riding Harleys up the hill. It is unique.