We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aarizona suggestions please....

Ontario
Level Contributor
132 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Aarizona suggestions please....

I've had some great help from this forum before on other places to visit. I would like to spend 5 or 6 days in Arizona. Where?! I have older kids and we'd like a nice resort/hotel in a place (not too big)where there's some sightseeing and exploring to do, as well being able to swim, relax etc.

From reading the site and forums, I'm thinking of Sedona. I also checked out the PinkJeep tours which looked fun. However I am open to suggestions and had thought of Tuscon or Scottsdale...?. It would have to be fairly near a major airport as I wouldn't be keen on renting and driving a long way from the airport.

I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks!

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Aarizona suggestions please....

Hi

Sedona would be ideal. For ideas of where to stay and things to see and do check www.visitsedona.com.

In the area you'll find Montezuma Castle, Tuzigoot, Walnut Canyon, Sunset Crater Volcano and Wupatki Nat Mons. and of course Grand Canyon Nat Park. Check www.nps.gov for information on all National Parks and Monuments.

Also in the area you'll find the old mining towns of Jerome and Prescott, both worth a visit, the Verde Canyon Railroad and much more. www.arizonatourism.com will give you plenty of ideas and information.

The nearest major airport would be Sky Harbor (Phoenix) or if you change for a local flight you might be able to get to Flagstaff.

Tucson would be my second choice. The Saguaro Nat Park, Kartchner Caverns SP and Tombstone, the town too tough to die, spring to mind. Check out www.arizonatourism.com once again for further things to see and do around Tucson.

Don't worry about driving. If a Brit can do it, even when you North Americans will insist upon driving on the wrong side of the road, you'll be fine.

Enjoy planning your trip.

Tony

Ontario
Level Contributor
132 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aarizona suggestions please....

Thanks fatbald - from an exBrit here! I will check further into those two places. Couple of questions.. weather at end of December? And, Feb? From some of my research, it seems Sedona would be pretty cool (weather wise) at those times? Is there that much difference in temps. at different places in AZ due to the mts., etc?

Thanks again.

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Aarizona suggestions please....

Hi travelmum

Some average temps for you:

Sedona - Dec. Hi 57f, Lo 31f, Feb. Hi 61f, Lo 33f. Most rain/snow in Feb.

Tucson - Dec. Hi 66f, Lo 33f, Feb. Hi 70f, Lo 36f. Very little rain at any time of year.

The Grand Canyon would be about, Hi 40f, Lo 17f, in both Dec. and Feb., with most rain/snow in Feb.

You're quite right, the further south you head in Arizona, generally, the warmer and dryer it becomes. For example at the Organ Pipe Cactus Nat Mon, serious desert on the Mexican border, the temps are Dec. Hi 69f, Lo 40f, Feb. Hi 74f, Lo 42f and virtually no rain.

Coming from Ottowa I would imagine you're not desperate to see snow, though the Grand Canyon with a dusting of snow is even more majestic, so for warmer weather head south. Tucson looks good, plus you should be able to get a flight to Tucson airport.

Any more questions, fire away. Enjoy planning your trip.

Tony

denver
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Aarizona suggestions please....

My overall preference is Sedona. If driving is a big issue, Sedona is about two hours from Phoenix. You can probably get a connection to Flagstaff (which is about 45 minutes from Sedona), but by the time you do the connection you could aleady be in Sedona.

Under the circumstances, you may want to go to Tucson. Tucson will be a bit warmer than Sedona. There are a lot of tourist attractions around Tucson and Tuscon has a number of resorts.

If you don't mind the drive a putting up with a bit cooler weather, Sedona is a great choice. There are a number of resorts in and around Sedona with the great majority being "timeshares". Try Los Abrigados, Sunterra, Hilton, Fairfield. You may be able to get some room deals if you are willing to listen to their sales pitches. Or you can go to a timeshae web broker site and buy someone's timeshare week at one of the above resorts for signficantly less than the resort's rack rates.

Also, I know Pink Jeep Tours is mentioned on this board all of the time. They are the 800 pound gorilla of jeep tours in Sedona and do a great job. You and other board members may want to consider some of the other jeep tour operators in Sedona who are also equally as good.

Another great and unique expereince (and a bit expensive), is a hot air balloon tour/ride. Its an increidble way to experience Sedona.

Ontario
Level Contributor
132 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aarizona suggestions please....

Many thanks fatbald and texushare. The temps. do make me think it's not as warm as I was hoping for, but then maybe for touring around, the cooler temps. will be fine. Thanks for all the info, and I will check out other tours too - only heard about the PinkJeep from this site, so will expore a bit more.. should be receiving my Arizona package shortly.

Arizona
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aarizona suggestions please....

The cool temps aren't as bad as one might think. Flagstaff has lovely weather even in the winter. I guess it's because of the altitude, but the sun is very warm. However, you must plan for snow around Flag and the Canyon. There is already snow on the San Francisco Peaks. (Just outside of Flag, but much higher altitude.) Sedona rarely has snow and is warmer than Flag (once again because of altitude.) If it does snow in Sedona, it doesn't last long and is really something to see against the red rock. Being from Ottawa, you'll probably think both places are warm!

Ontario
Level Contributor
132 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aarizona suggestions please....

Thanks for your post and info.

I just feel compelled to write that Ottawa isn't always cold and full of snow! Yes, cold in winter, but hot in summer... we had something like 33 days over 30C which is around 87F, and until just over two weeks ago, was close to 80F. But yes... winter can be a bit long and cold!

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aarizona suggestions please....

Hello travelmum,

Sedona is absolutely beautiful! We have had two December visits and the weather was a sunny 60 - 65 degrees everday. Perfect hiking weather! We stayed at the Enchantment Resort and it is simply beautiful. Check it out at www.enchantmentresort.com Yes, it is expensive but worth it!

Ontario
Level Contributor
132 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aarizona suggestions please....

Thank you healin1. Sorry not to get back sooner and reply. I have all the info rec'd recently form the Arizona tourist office and of course great info from here.

Get answers to your questions about Sedona