We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona Spas...your thoughts?

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Sedona Spas...your thoughts?

Hello!

I am going to Sedona for the first time and I want to go to a spa. There are so many of them I cant decide. I dont want to go to a snooty place or a place thats really crowded. Anyone have any recommendations? How about something for couples. I just dont even know where to begin...thanks!

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona Spas...your thoughts?

The Enchantment Resort has a wonderful spa and is not crowded. Check it out at www.enchantmentresort.com

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona Spas...your thoughts?

On Stubby's recommendation I went to the Sedona Spa at the Los Abrigados Resort. It was just about right for me. I'm not a big spa-goer, so my requirements may be different from others who are. I have gone to some very nice ones (the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs comes to mind), but never a snooty one, so my basis of comparison may be limited.

I went to Sedona Spa because Stubby said she viewed it as best value. It was fine, it wasn't fabulous, but it was about what I was looking for. I didn't have a lot of time to research it, and frankly, spa treatments were something on my list of many things I wanted to do. I also needed a spa that would accept clients who were not staying at the hotel, since my hotel choice was already set by the conference I was attending.

This is what I found:

Los Abrigados is a gorgeous resort, very conveniently located next to Tlaquepaque. I say this because if you have an open schedule and want to meander and shop or window shop, Tlaquepaque is a lovely out-of-the-ordinary place to do it.

The spa itself is more like a nice gym connected to treatment rooms and a small, but pleasant waiting area. It's compact. A short central hallway serves the women's locker room, men's locker room. Further down the hallway is the weight room and space for classes. There is an outside terrace with a few aerobic machines overlooking the pool, and connecting to a small, pleasant waiting room for the spa guests. The pool is lovely. You can use all these facilities if you are a spa guest and plan your time accordingly around your treatment.

Inside the women's locker room is a eucalyptus steam room, sauna and whirlpool. There are showers for convenient showering off between treatments or after classes. You will see local people coming in before and after classes regularly, or for their independent workouts. You are sharing a small space, but not uncomfortably so. I spent a fair amount of time before and after treatments to use the steam room, sauna and whirlpool. It reminded me of using my health club at home, where such amenities are available. It is not as luxurious as the spa I patronized at the Broadmoor, where the appointments were luxe, the dressing room and quiet waiting room areas were spacious and well-separated from the gym side, and the lounge chairs were spread out over a larger area. That separation adds to the sense of relaxation, as opposed to the athletic vibe you get when you are (not that being athletic isn't desireable -- it just depends on what you want).

I had two massages (therapeutic and aromatherapy) and a Desert Dream exfoliation and polish. The latter was wonderful and my skin felt great after that. Choose the bee honey masque!

I don't know if they have services for couples, but the layout is not the kind of place that is conducive to getting couples in the mood -- at least in the waiting areas. Inside the treatment rooms, it's very relaxing.

One last thing: If you go to take a look at the place, just go ahead and park your car in the Los Abrigados lot and do not listen to the silly man in the booth who will try to steer you to timeshare huckters for Los Abrigados under the guise of "providing information for the spa." This happened to us when we dropped by to pick up a brochure on the treatments and it was irritating. You can get a list of the treatments on the spa's internet site (or just drive up to the hotel's port cochere and run up to the mezzanine to the spa to get the brochure).

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona Spas...your thoughts?

WOW!! thank you for the great info! Im going to look it up right now. And thanks for the warning about the huckters..much appreciated :)

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona Spas...your thoughts?

BetterthanBings: I took your advice and had a great massage at los abrigados spa. And youre right about the timeshare hucksters! everywhere you turn theyre shoving it in your face...annoying!