We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Accommodation

Ula
South Africa
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
New Years Accommodation

I need some direction for finding a real special place where we can stay for New Years, some real quiet retreat. From the 1st we have a place already through RCI, but before this time I want something real nice. Any ideas would be welcomed.

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Accommodation

Very few people know this but Sky Ranch Lodge has cottages that stand alone on the rim of Airport bluff overlooking Sedona. They have kitchens and fabulous views and great rates. They may be booked however.

Otherwise, if you want to spend some money, I'd pick Enchantment - way out in the red rock canyons far from the town and it is truly a special place. Lots of hiking and sports and spa treatments to make it a wonderful 1st.

By the way, based on something else you wrote, Sedona is only about 10,000 people and Tucson is more of a small city. Sedona has more visitors in town than locals sometimes. It is a safe town but you should still lock your doors at night to your car and room. I do not worry about car jackers in Arizona, except maybe in Phoenix but I generally do not worry about this kind of activity anywhere.

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Accommodation

We stayed at the Enchantment Resort last New Years and it was so beautiful, peaceful, perfect for a relaxing New Years. The casitas are lovely. We stayed in a Junior suite and it was lovely with a large bathroom seperate shower and soaking tub. The beds are so comfortable with frette sheets! There's a small living area with a cozy fireplace. The spa is the best I've ever been to with a indoor pool and a special meditation room.

Ula
South Africa
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Accommodation

Enchantment seems very nice, but wow, it's over the top prices. Is it really worth the money spent? If yes, I would consider....

I'd prefer something smaller, if I could choose, not a resort style place.

Could anyone tlee me how far drive is M Velley from Sedona? I believe its near a town called Medicine Hat? Is it recommended to stay over before the journey back to Sedona?

Thanks for all the helpful advice, really appreciated.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,005 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years Accommodation

Ula,

It would be a very very long day but I know someone who has driven from Sedona to Monument Valley and back in a day. Goodness knows what they were like at the end of it though!

If you can, stay the night at Goldings Lodge and take an early morning or late afternoon tour with a Navajo guide before heading back to Sedona. There are a few interesting things to see on the way around Flagstaff such as The Sunset Crater NM and Wupatki NM plus the beautiful drive out of Sedona up Oak Creek Canyon.

In Sedona itself you could consider a B&B. We stayed at The Taste of Sedona and there are others equally good. Better value than the resorts although places like The Enchantment do sound special if you need a bit of pampering!

Hope that helps.

Ula
South Africa
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years Accommodation

Adamhornets,

Could you please tell me near which town is Goldings and how do I get in touch with a Navajo guide for a tour of M Valey?

Thanks

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years Accommodation

Ula,

Yes the Enchantment is worth the price! It isn't a large resort. It is medium sized and the most intimate resort I've ever been to. It's located away from town, you feel so far from everything, it's so cozy. But yet your still close to town. It's amazing in my opinion!!!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,005 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years Accommodation

Ula,

Gouldings Lodge is the only accommodation actually located in Monument Valley. There's a restaurant, museum and gas station there in addition to the rooms which should be booked well in advance. You can book a tour through Gouldings (and which departs from the lodge) or you can just drive yourself the couple of miles to the entrance and book a guide after you have parked up. Not cheap ($70.00 for a private 2 1/2 hour tour in an old jeep) but worth it we thought.

www.gouldings.com

www.monumentvalley.com

Hope that helps,

Adam C