We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pronounce Tlaquepaque

Florida
Level Contributor
90 posts
15 reviews
Pronounce Tlaquepaque

OK, locals, help me out here. When I arrive in your fair city, will I be spending my money at the "locky pocky" market, or the "lacky packy" market? I have been known to really butcher the name of some beautiful sounding places. One old TA post I dug up made me laugh with their "lock ya pockets" comment.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
7,065 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Pronounce Tlaquepaque

Let's see if I can correctly type this phonetically, ha ha!

te LAW que PAW kee

The first "que" in Tlaquepaque is pronounced like you would when speaking the word "que" in French - sort of a soft k, without the long "ee" at the end. Does that make sense? Maybe someone else has a better explanation, though.

And, I think it's nice of you to take the time to research this! :) Have a fun trip!

Florida
Level Contributor
90 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Pronounce Tlaquepaque

Your explanation is very easy to understand, and I thank you so much. I live in a small village with a Native American name that few people can pronounce, and even fewer can spell. That is part of the appeal of travel, not just seeing and experiencing the new, but hearing it spoken as well. Thanks again.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Pronounce Tlaquepaque

Actually, your locky-pocky was pretty much right on. Tuh-lockay-pockay would be about as close as you can get.

Florida
Level Contributor
90 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Pronounce Tlaquepaque

Trivia question well answered! Excitement builds anticipating first trip to Arizona. See you in September.

Sedona, AZ
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: Pronounce Tlaquepaque

To-Lock-Your-Pockets

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: Pronounce Tlaquepaque

You got that one right, SedonaMTB!!!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
410 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: Pronounce Tlaquepaque

I'm glad that someone asked about this. I had no idea how to pronounce it, and there are going to be other words, I'm sure, that I will be doing good to spell!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
410 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: Pronounce Tlaquepaque

Excuse my grammar, I meant to say doing well and not good.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
7,065 posts
11 reviews
9. Re: Pronounce Tlaquepaque

Just curious, no offense intended here - but do the people who posted "To Lock Your Pockets" and "Lacky Packy" really pronounce it like that? I lived in Cottonwood for 2 years (I was about 15-20 minutes from Sedona), and I spent tons of time in Sedona and at Tlaquepaque. I have always pronounced it the way I phonetically spelled it above. Either I am loopy, or the "To Lock Your Pockets" comment was just for fun, and not a serious pronunciation! ;)> Anyway, just wondering if I've been wrong all these years, ha ha! Have a great weekend, all!

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
72 posts
63 reviews
10. Re: Pronounce Tlaquepaque

I have been in Az for 20 years and this is the first time I have ever heard it pronounced that way (to lock your pockets). I have a dear friend that works in one of the shops there, I'll just have to check with her to see if she has heard that.