We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comments of Los Abrigados Lodge and things to do in Sedona...

SOCAL
Level Contributor
85 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Comments of Los Abrigados Lodge and things to do in Sedona...

We've book 2 nights at Los Abrigados Lodge for August and would like some inputs on the property, timeshare sales pitch, and security. Any other info would be great. Also are there rivers/streams for playing.

phoenix arizona
Level Contributor
151 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comments of Los Abrigados Lodge and things to do in Sedona...

I have never stayed at Los Abrigados, but it looks very nice. There is a shopping area right in front of the timeshare called Tlaquepaque. That's great. There must be about 50 - 75 shops, plus restaurants. And the shopping area is a replica of a town in Mexico. So it feels like you're in an old town in Mexico. Very nice. A lot of people get married at Tlaquepaque.

Los Abrigados is in a nice area. I wouldn't worry about security. There are several restaurants on site. Steaks & Sticks is a nice restaurant where you can play pool. That's neat. But that' more adult.

There is actually a river that flows nearby the lodge. You can access it by going across the street from the time share and go behind the New Age building. But the best place to access it is at Slide Rock. That is a hot spot in Sedona for swimming. It has a natural water slide and you put your towel on the red rocks. Be careful cause there are places where the water is over the kids heads. There are also some hiking trails within Slide Rock recreational area. The kids will love it.

You may also consider a jeep tour. Great for the whole family.

SOCAL
Level Contributor
85 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comments of Los Abrigados Lodge and things to do in Sedona...

Thanks Johannapan. Besides Slide Rock, do you know of other safe areas where kids can have waterplay near a river/stream. I've heard Slide Rock gets crowded.

Sedona, AZ
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Comments of Los Abrigados Lodge and things to do in Sedona...

There are quite a few places along Oak Creek Canyon. One is at Midgely Bridge and there is another at what I think is called Grasshopper Point. From my experience from both, Grasshoper point is usually a little less congested. Most of the parking in Oak Creek Canyon requires a Red Rock Pass which can be purchased at the Chamber of Commerce for $5 a day. The places that dont require a pass, you usually have to pay to park. I believe you have to pay to park at Grasshoper Point.

Gilbert
Level Contributor
952 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comments of Los Abrigados Lodge and things to do in Sedona...

The restaurants at Los Abrigados are great, too. I can't remember the name of the italian place there, but I think that was the best Tiramisu I've ever had. Did I mention my in-laws are right off the boat from Italy? ;-)

My husband and I are all about good food when we vacation...

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comments of Los Abrigados Lodge and things to do in Sedona...

I was just back to visit friends in Sedona and went to Red Rock Crossing, paid the forest service to park and then walked all along the river towards Cathedral Rock. Lots of families playing in the water and places for barbeques too. Don't forget plenty of water and sunscreen and your suits.

Methuen
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
537 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comments of Los Abrigados Lodge and things to do in Sedona...

I just want you to know there is Los Abrigados Lodge and there is Los Abrigados Resort and Spa. The Lodge is located on I believe 89A . The Lodge is is not on Portal Lane adjacent to the Tiaquepace village. It is the Resort and Spa that has the three restuarants including Sticks and Bones and Joeys. I stayed at the Resort in April and found the facilities up to date and centrally located. Also, with the proximity of the the Tiaquepacue village you had some more choice to eat if you chose not to drive. The shops there were very expensive and none were open in the evening .

There are time share pitches but they at many of these places if you have visited them before.

SOCAL
Level Contributor
85 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Comments of Los Abrigados Lodge and things to do in Sedona...

Thanks for all the info on the restaurants and waterplay areas. This will make our visit more enjoyable.

SOCAL
Level Contributor
85 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Comments of Los Abrigados Lodge and things to do in Sedona...

Does anybody have any comments on the Los Abrigados "Lodge".

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
13 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Comments of Los Abrigados Lodge and things to do in Sedona...

Time share freaks are all over town. The only way to shake them off is to say you live close by. Great place for lunch-The Secret Garden, right next door to Los Abrigados. There are parks everywhere for the kids. The Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour is great.

Sedona, AZ
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Comments of Los Abrigados Lodge and things to do in Sedona...

I live in Sedona and work-out at Los Abrigados Resort and Spa. The last few summers, I had taken my grandson, who is now 13, to their daily kids camp. He really enjoyed all the activities. You can either pay for the whole day (and give yourself a bit of adult freedom) or just enjoy a couple of the sessions. All of the activities are supervised. A whole day can add up to about $32+ per child...food is included. Also, theyhave an Institude of Ecotourism that offers some interesting programs.There is also a kids pool (Los ninos) and an adult pool. Oak Creek flows parallel to the resort....though I haven't seen anyone swimming at that location except the ducks.

The Los Abrigados Lodge in uptown has terrific view units, but it is located in a much more " tourist business" part of town. It also has a pool. For swimming in a natural setting, try Red Rock Crossing. Yes, the kids would enjoy Slide Rock a lot, but it does get crowded, especially on the weekend. Get there early. Kids don't notice that it might be crowed, but you may. Be sure to take them on the West Fork Canyon hike.. rated easy with several creek crossings. Visit the Red Rock State Park..an environmental study park..picnicking, but no swimming. Another thing, if you have the money, take the kids on a horsebackriding excursion with Trailhorse Adventures. Jeep Tours are great, but also depend on your how much you can spend. And of course, there is a day at the Grand Canyon...though I don't know the ages of your kids. Went there with my grandson a few years back and got very tired of telling him to not get near the edge. See the IMAX if you go.

As for time share...just say NO. As far as security goes, I haven't heard of any problems.

Hope you have a great time. Bring tennis shoes.