We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Experts, Verde Hot Springs?

Nebraska
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Local Experts, Verde Hot Springs?

I am a bit of a natural hot springs freak and I noticed a mention of Verde Hot Springs on the Verde River- definately off the beaten path, but...know anything about this? All I can find is that it is in the Tonto Natl Forest and some pretty wild directions; does anyone know if it is a usable area?

And thank you, all of you, for your excellent remarks and suggestions! This is a great and very informative forum!

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,592 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local Experts, Verde Hot Springs?

http://www.sedona.biz/verdehotsprings.htm

The roads may not be in the shape described in the article. Another recent report describes the last road as "car-beating badly rutted gravel." You have to walk across the river to get to them. It's been 20 years since I was personally there.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,723 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local Experts, Verde Hot Springs?

I've heard of them, but never been there. Like bobbear, I don't have the right vehicle or the energy to go see. I'll just wait to go back to Strawberry Fields in Steamboat. CO. (Had some fun times there...)

Sedona, AZ
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local Experts, Verde Hot Springs?

I looked at the website Bobbybear posted and it is a little out of date. The power plant has been decomissioned and the dam taken out. The forest service and many nationwide orgainzations used the situation to show that natural rivers and wildlife can be restored. However, a recent article in High Country News refutes that.

It is a beautiful place no matter what anyone says, restored or not!!!!

See the website below for the latest info.

fs.fed.us/r3/…fossil-spgs-wild.shtml

You might want to stay away on the weekends. Also, call to make sure there aren't any issues restricting visitors before you go. The Coconino National Forest has closed it a few times for various issues.

928-282-4119 (If they aren't answering for some reason call the other numbers on the website above.

Have fun!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local Experts, Verde Hot Springs?

Thanks for the great info! I'll let you know what I find out.

I love the Steamboat CO site, too!

5. Re: Local Experts, Verde Hot Springs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, September 11, 2009