We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visting at sedona area

Matyland
2 posts
Save Topic
Visting at sedona area

I will stay in sedona area from June 16 to June 20. Please advise me where to stay and Is it good idea to stay all 4 nights at Sedona? What is best idea to spend 4 nights around sedona area? I went to Grand Canyon a couple of years ago. I would like to visit Indian reservation too.

phoenix arizona
Level Contributor
151 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visting at sedona area

4 nights is Sedona is good if you like to hike or if you are interested in Art Galleries or shopping and relaxing. There isn't too much entertainment in Sedona. Mostly upscale shopping and outdoor stuff, like jeep rides, swimming at Slide Rock, admiring the red rocks, hiking, camping, fishing etc...

Though, there is more to do there than at Grand Canyon.

The Navajo Indian reservation is about an hour from Flagstaff. Flagstaff is a 1/2 hour north of Sedona. I can't remember which road you take, I think it is 69. Anyway, the locals can tell you which road. This road also passes the Wupatki Indian ruins. Highly recommend visiting those ruins. In that same national park area there is also Sunset Crater, which at one time erupted and now there is volcanic rock everwhere. It's pretty neat if you have never seen volcanic rocks and lava.

Anyhow, continue on 69 (or whatever # road it is) and you'll come into Cameron, AZ. There is the Cameron Trading Post which will be on your left hand side. Definitely stop in there. They have all kinds of Indian souvenirs and at good prices. There is also a restaurant there. I suggest trying the Navajo Tacos. Yummy.

And if you want to go further you can drive for another 1 1/2 to 2 hours into Page, AZ. FYI - The Navajo Nation is not on the same time zone as the rest of Arizona. There is an hour difference. Lake Powell is right near Page, AZ. That would be nice to stay there for the night. There is Glen Canyon Dam and also a marina with marine sports and tourist ferry's.

Have fun

harrisburg, pa
Level Contributor
158 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visting at sedona area

I am jealous...I was there in March for four cold, rainy days... but it was a wonderful experience. for jewelry shopping avoid downtown --- head to the parking lot of the Dairy Queen on the outskirts...I am serious. Make sure you avoid most of thev"tourist information" places -- they are hawking time shares. And try the Days Inn for a place to stay - cheap suites and a decent pool. Oh yes -go to the Cathedral in the Rock...very spiritual. Enjoy and be peaceful.

Matyland
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visting at sedona area

Thanks so much to both of you for the information.

pa
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Visting at sedona area

Just came back from Sedona. Was there for only 1 night, and could have spent more time there. I plan on going back in the future. I also stayed at the Days Inn, clean, cheap good motel, a little bit away from the main drag (approx 3 miles on 89A). Definitely go to the Chapel, it was designed by Lloyd Wright, very spirtual. Also this may sound stupid but just do it go to the Sedona Airport for the sunset. I guarantee you will not be alone. There is plenty do to in Sedona many shops and galleries, take money. No realtors bothered me for timeshares which I was warned about.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
10 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visting at sedona area

We just spent 3 days in Sedona and could have stayed longer. I just finished my reviews for the hotels, restaurants, things to do, etc. on Trip Advisor. Read those and you will get some good direction. Have a great time.

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visting at sedona area

Just to clarify, the Chapel in Sedona which is gorgeous was not designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, but by a student of his in his familier design.

I used to volunteer at the Sedona Chamber and I would suggest 3 nights in Sedona and one at the Grand Canyon. There is not much to do at the canyon but it is definitely a once in a lifetime adventure usually. The persons advice to go through Native American territory and through Cameron for Indian Fry Bread is a good idea. Used to love that side trip.

But Sedona has plenty to do for 3 days. Hiking and vortexes and shopping and jeep rides and psychics and plenty of great restaurants. Swim in Oak Creek, slide on Slide Rock. For night life there are great bands in Sedona but if Sammy Davis (I'm not kidding - this is his name) is playing anywhere don't miss it! He is fantastic and the audience feels very much a part of the dancing. I KNOW!

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visting at sedona area

Just returned from Sedona. We originally booked 5 nights, which I thought might be too long, but it wasn't long enough, so we stayed an extra night. We didn't visit any Indian reservations, but I am sure that if you do some searching on the Sedona travel sights, you will find out where to go. Check with your hotel and talk to other tourists, shop owner, etc. They are a wealth of information. We got many suggestions just from chatting with people. I can give you a couple of recommendations. Jerome is just 30 minutes away and is a quaint little town filled with art galleries and shops and a great burger place - the Haunted Hamburger; Verde Valley Railway - a ride through the Verde Valley on open railway cars; lovely; a hike through West Fork Trail in the Oak Creek Canyon - easy trail with great scenery; a Pink Jeep Tour and they do one of the ancient ruins. Enjoy! There is so much to do in and around Sedona. We are already planning our next trip.