We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
miami
Level Contributor
392 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Help with itinerary

I am in the early stages of planning a trip to Sedona/Grand Canyon.

I will probably come over Spring Break 2008, which will be late March/Early April for me. I will be coming with 2 adults and 2 kids aegs 9/12.

Should I fly into Pheonix and drive to Sedona or directly to the Grand Canyon. The latter seems like too much traveling for 1 day.

I want to visit the Petrified forest. Is this nearby to Sedona? I also want to take the kids to Meteor Crater. Nearby?

I would love to find a hotel with an indoor pool and breakfast included. Any suggestions? It doesn't need to be anything fancy, just clean and comfortable.

Please give me possible intineraries with suggestions for activities for the kids. Thanks

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,848 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinerary

How many days will you have?

Let's assume you have 7 nights, here's an idea for easy driving days.....:

Day 1 arrive Phoenix, drive to Sedona (about 2 hours). Stay there.

Day 2 Take a jeep tour or a hike. stay again in Sedona. You may want to go to Out of Africa an animal park.

Day 3 drive to Grand Canyon and enter via the south entrance (about 2.5 hour drive without stops). Stay inside the park. Make sure you try to get reservations soon if you can't get inside the park, try Tusayan. Watch sunset! Have your kids do the Junior Ranger Program. My son loved doing this still has many of his badges!

Day 4 see more of Grand Canyon. If you can, try to hike even a short distance into the canyon on Bright Angel Trail, the kids will think it is cool to have "hiked" the canyon. Stay again in the park.

Day 5 Exit GC out the eastern entrance, stop at Wupatki and Sunset Crater Nat Monuments. Drive on to Meteor Crater which is really only a 1-2 hour visit at most. Stay in either Winslow AZ (2.5 hrs from GC) or Holbrook AZ (3 hrs from GC). In Holbrook AZ, you can stay at the Wigwam Motel, no pool but really cool, or there are a number of other chain motels. We stayed at the Days Inn in Hobrook. Nothing super special, but they had breakfast and an indoor pool!

Day 6 Visit Petrified Forest/Painted Desert. Drive around the park and then head south to Payson area (about 2 hours) or the Showlow area (1 hour). Could be snowy, or not. Spend the night.

Day 7 Drive on to Phoenix (2-3 hours). Stay at a fun resort, Hilton has a few resorts with incredible water park type pools.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,428 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itinerary

Start working on getting reservations at the GCNP now. Availability of lodging there will most likely determine your itinerary. It would make sense to be at the GC either on the first 2 or last 2 nights of your week, and then spend the rest of the time in Sedona. {HX to Sedona is about a 2 hour drive. PHX to GCNP is closer to 4 hours.

Meteor Crator is an easy stop on the way to or from the east gate of GCNP. The petrified forest is a little more out of the way, and may be somewhat disappointing, unless you're really into geology.

Indoor pools are rather rare in Sedona. In fact, I can't think of a single one. Sedona (and the GCNP) are all about getting outdoors and enjoying the natural wonders that God put here. Save the swimming pool for your vaction at Disneyworld.

Other fun activities for kids though include Out of Africa, and of course, a Pink Jeep tour.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,428 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itinerary

Oops. I meant to say Sunset Crater is near GCNP. Meteor Crater is farther away.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itinerary

Great advices already given. Do you have a week?

I agree with RedRox about Petrified Forest. Keep in mind it's not a forest and maybe it can be a bit disappointing. I would recommend a visit to Walnut Canyon NM just east of Flagstaff and often overlooked. Your kids will like this for sure. Casa gave a great option to stay in Holbrook re Wigwam Motel. We don't care about trainnoises but if you do maybe try one of the chainmotels. Nevertheless I also would recommend WigWam.

Tet

5. Re: Help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, September 05, 2009